SAD ideas?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
oak

SAD ideas?

Post by oak »

Hey!

For the second year in a row, my mind has lost its sharpness, and I have tip of the tongue memory problems. I've also been a bit manic. Not much, but noticeable.

I am in an office all day. While I can't say that this is SAD, if there are easy/quick/cheap things I can do to mitigate/prevent this, I'll be glad to hear it.

What I've done so far:

1. My friend (and my doctor, a year ago) suggested I consume the proper amount of Vitamin D. I've learned most Vitamin D comes from sunlight, and I get very little/none each day.

2. Light therapy. Today I got some "daylight" bulbs at [big box retailer]. I am unsure, from a technical standpoint, if "daylight" bulbs are the same as "full spectrum" bulbs.

Any suggestions?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Applecider
Issues: Depression, Anxiety, Co-dependent, problems maintaining relationships.
preferred pronoun: She

Re: SAD ideas?

Post by Applecider »

Hi oak *wave*

i worked at a home improvement store for a bit and I can tell you that Daylight Bulbs are not the same as full spectrum. You might still try them though and use them around your house in areas that are particularly dark in the winter months. The light they give off is brighter, more white than say soft white, or warm white or cool white bulbs. I have them in all my rooms because the soft white bulbs my parents liked made everything feel dirty and smoke-covered to me and I didn't like that.
oak

Post by oak »

Good day Applecider! I hope you're doing well.

Thanks for the insight. I couldn't quite tell the difference. I appreciate it.

I ordered a lightbox from [online retailer] so I hope to be using that starting Wednesday morning.

You also got it right about "soft white" bulbs; compared to daylight all I can compare them to is "yellow" and "death". Ugh.

I intend to get out and walk during lunch when it is sunny.

And not to be flip about SAD, at all, but I intend to get some after-work flirting done in the coming weeks also. Maybe even go on a date! (I can dream. Sigh.)
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

I am much better.

Before it felt like my mind had holes in it. Things were on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't quite remember them. Plus I was a little manic. Not much, but not so much that I could deny it.

What I did:

Right away I started taking Vitamin D.

A few days later I got a lightbox and I use that for 15 minutes immediately after waking up.

They certainly correlated, and probably caused, my feeling better.
ovoce
Issues: Depression and anxiety, cutting, suicidal, food addiction, rape survivor
preferred pronoun: she

Post by ovoce »

While it didn't help with any of the emotional effects of depression, when I started taking vitamin D it definitely helped me feel more awake and "sharp", which is great because these grey winter days just make me so groggy
AgreeableOne
Issues: Depression, alcoholism, social anxiety, inability to make decisions
preferred pronoun: He

Post by AgreeableOne »

Hi, You reminded me that my special light is sitting unused, I meant to move it to the chair where I sit most of the afternoon and evening. Previously, it seemed to help in winter, so I want to try again. Vitamin D was recommended by my regular doctor. Blood tests show a lack and it is needed for our bone strength. Also, B12, I am told is good. I added some other vitamins last week due to signs of anemia. They might help, but I need to see my doctor and maybe she will order blood tests.
For me, all these pills plus Rxs are annoying and sometimes I will not take them until feeling bad again. Same with eating good food and getting sleep. Very negative, I know.
oak

Post by oak »

Yeah! That light is brightest thing on earth. Even on low!

I think the vitamin D fixed the holes in my brain; I can think better now.

I'm still tired and listless compared to my usual self.

Just this week I was thinking about, long term, moving to a sunnier place. I am super tired of driving in snow.

There has to be a better life.
ovoce
Issues: Depression and anxiety, cutting, suicidal, food addiction, rape survivor
preferred pronoun: she

Post by ovoce »

Sunny is always good. I'm counting down the days until summer myself. I just applied to be a summer camp counselor, my office job only runs from September until April and I need something for the summer and thought something outdoors would be lovely compared to sitting in artificial lights tied to a desk all day. Not to mention, by body aches all the time from sitting in that horrid chair. I hope I can spend the sunny summer outdoors and you can move to Florida or something, Oak :P
SallieMaesBitch
Issues: Dysthymia, general anxiety, hoarding, overeating, cutting, alcoholism, hypomania
preferred pronoun: he

Post by SallieMaesBitch »

Light boxes need to be a certain number of lumins for them to do anything, so you might check with your insurance company if this is something they'll cover. You might also be able to find a used one online. For me, I found swimming to be particularly effective. Also, I felt better when I was eating better, though it's near impossible to get me to eat better when I'm suffering SAD. One thing that has helped, and it certainly isn't possible for everyone in all situations, is moving to a place with less winter. Yes, it seriously got to that point. I still have crushing anxiety and depression, but at least now I know it isn't going to get uncontrollably worse with the weather.
oak

Post by oak »

Hey ovoce and Sallie! Thanks for your posts. I really appreciate them.

The lightbox I got goes up to 10k, and my goodness is that thing bright. I am still taking my vitamin D.

I was doing really well, until I wasn't. On Thursday I couldn't remember my coworker's. It was on the tip of my tongue.

Like you guys suggest, it is time to consider a life-changing move to a sunnier climate. Florida, certainly. Arizona? Definitely.

Meanwhile, my mind tends towards hypochondria lately, which yeah doesn't help.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted. It means so much.

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”