Anybody else feel directionless?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
littleraincloud
Issues: Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, general mental fuckery
preferred pronoun: she

Anybody else feel directionless?

Post by littleraincloud »

Because I sure as hell do. I have an immediate plan but am not working very hard on it (actually, not working on it at all), but beyond that I don't have a clue. Like, it's weird to feel that if I don't make it into a graduate program I'll just pick something and kind of go for it, I guess? It makes no difference to me whether I end up in New York or Arizona or Maine or anywhere because I just don't care. I would be unhappy if, say, I ended up working for an insurance company because that's not what I want, but the things that I do want aren't worth striving for. They don't motivate me. I can't envision my life even a year from now, much less 5 or 10 years, so I can't make any concrete plans. Or I just don't want to.
I'm responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast!
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Anybody else feel directionless?

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I swear, I'm not trailing you around the boards just to say "I totally get you," but ...

I totally get you.

*high five*
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
littleraincloud

High five! It's not a problem, I get the feeling that as only a certain number of users are active on here anyway, we'll all end up running into each other.
I'm responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast!
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

For what it's worth, I think there are also a handful of us here who consider themselves writers or artists or some other kind of creative sort who really do seem to have a common psychological profile. For example, a lot of what you've talked about (and what I identify with) I've also heard from other writers. Not all, but definitely some.

Maybe we're all just part of a particular clan. Like Hemingway and Plath and Foster Wallace and those guys.

Hopefully less "die by our own hand"-ish, though.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
SallieMaesBitch
Issues: Dysthymia, general anxiety, hoarding, overeating, cutting, alcoholism, hypomania

Post by SallieMaesBitch »

Definitely agreeing with the artist/writer comment. But yeah, I'm so directionless. I've traveled around the world and feel more lost than ever.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I have a lot of direction; it just doesn't feel like I belong to it. My own proper direction is a lot smaller, simpler, with lots of random changes of approach and inappropriate feelings in the midst of it. The force of the direction that carries me along from the outside demands I meet it with a kind of supercharged ambition that just isn't sensible to me. The irony is that that force doesn't require ambition, just a compliance to the form it's always taking; to let myself be taken by the current; which seems kind of anonymous and dehumanizing. I wouldn't claim to be an artist; just a fragile human whose own familiar motivation appears illegible against the background torrent of information.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
littleraincloud

HowDidIGetHere: Yeah, creative types do seem to tend towards emotional disturbance. It's a shame that we all seem to have these struggles.

SallieMaesBitch: Unfortunately, I've found that "wherever you go, there you are." Travel hasn't cured me of anything. But I hope that you enjoyed your trips anyway!

Beany Boo: Are you saying that you feel like you're getting pushed around by outside forces?
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Getting? No. More like needing to be; pushed around so I can keep learning to get my feet under me.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
TexasGirl39
Issues: depression, anxiety, panic,

Post by TexasGirl39 »

A year late for the start of this thread, but yes. Heck very much yes. I can't even figure out what I want to do when it comes to simple things. Forget the big choices.
littleraincloud

It's never too late to have no direction in life, girl! In all seriousness though, I hope that you feel better soon.

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”