I told my ex-doctor I was depressed and he did nothing

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Maurice

I told my ex-doctor I was depressed and he did nothing

Post by Maurice »

What do you have to tell doctor to get them to take your depression seriously? Are there key words; phrases? Or did I just have an incompetent doctor?
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: I told my ex-doctor I was depressed and he did nothing

Post by manuel_moe_g »

You did the right thing in getting a new doctor, Maurice. Your health is not a game. Your health-care plan may allow you to see a psychiatrist directly, as well. Please take care, all the best.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

I don't have a health care plan. And aside from a visit to a walk-in clinic to have a rash on my finger looked at, I haven't been to a doctor in several years. The idea of choosing a doctor is something I've been avoiding (dreading?). My experience with doctors is extremely limited. I only went to my last (and only) doctor because my roommate at the time recommended him.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

It's not exactly great advice, but if I happen to have broken into tears into the waiting room I've noticed my doctor suddenly takes me very seriously. My doctor sucks but thankfully I've had enough help through local mental health services and psychiatrists for it not to matter, all I need him to do is keep rewriting my med scripts.

My opinion is this - you probably had an incompetent doctor or maybe they were having an off-day, I don't wanna judge or anything.

There are no key words or phrases, it's just a case of describing your symptoms and feelings and how it is affecting your health and your life. Any doctor worth their own chair should be able to understand how that is a problem and how you would benefit from help.

And if you get a doctor that sucks remember that no one doctor is God or wikipedia of medicine, there are places where you can get helped.
I am somewhat worried I come across as a know-it-all in a lot of my posts, so please allow me to use this space to make it clear that I actually don't know shit and am just trying to be helpful.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

___.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.___

Low/No Cost Mental Health Resources

United States website to find sliding scale "low/no" cost mental health services. Also information on medication assistance: NeedyMeds - Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics U.S. Database

Discussion of low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: Maria Bamford podcast, Episode 95, Jan 04 2013 at minute 6:00.

If you think you might need this resource, then you definitely need this resource - please check out the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN at RAINN.org

Google searches for low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: your town or county + one of these terms:
  • low cost counselling service
  • sliding scale counselling service
  • CMHC
  • community mental health
  • community service board office
From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
Here is a post and thread on Reddit about getting medication at low or no cost: Community Assistance Program, accepted at Target pharmacy and many other pharmacies

If you are just needing someone with the chat with online, not a professional, there is a great depression chat room that usually has at least 40 different people, you can go and go private and discuss issues and just get stress off your chest. Here is the link:

depression-chat-rooms.org

Finally, here is a good summary of the precursors to suicide to help you understand yourself and others, it is from a PhD psychologist whose father committed suicide:

American Psychological Association - Thomas Joiner, PhD - Precursors to suicide, for yourself and others

Cheers to you, for scrolling all the way down to the bottom of this copypasta! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”