Meds causing a living hell

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
ph0liage
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Addiction
preferred pronoun: He

Meds causing a living hell

Post by ph0liage »

About 10 months ago I began tapering myself down off of Effexor effectively and was looking forward to living med-free for awhile. Things were great, by the time August rolled around I was totally off of it, and didn't have to deal with any of the side effects of the meds. Cut to two days ago, I have a massive anxiety attack. I got through it, but I have been very very anxious ever since. I decided yesterday morning to go visit a doctor, at which point he immediately gave me a prescription for 150mg Effexor and 25mg Vistaril. I asked if I needed to taper up on the Effexor and he shrugged it off, saying it should be fine. I was very clear with him that I had been on no meds for four months, he didn't seem concerned. Well I left the office, filled my scripts, took the Effexor and went about my day. About an hour later I began experiencing what I can only describe as waves of incredible discomfort. My body felt like it was trying to get out of my skin. I took the Vistaril to try to calm myself down and it was like trying to fight a forest fire with a garden hose. I writhed in bed for about five hours before finally giving up and going to the ER. After a long wait, they finally said the only thing they could do was give an Ativan to help me sleep. I was grateful for that, but it only allowed me about four hours of respite from this shit then it started again this morning, albeit it is nowhere near as bad as last night. I suppose I just want to hear others stories that may be similar. Right now I am stuck in the "Your brain has been irreparably damaged and you're fucked for life." Mind loop.

take care out there
rc409
Issues: Suicide, bi polar, depression, addiction
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Meds causing a living hell

Post by rc409 »

The meds.....What are we supposed to do? Dont take it, be some sort of hero (in our minds only) or deal with what we need to take for an improved life quality.

What if I had proof, 100% proof, that you caused the need for meds because you had taken them before, too many, and for too long Obviously, nothing like that is available, but what if? If you knew that, it would be meaningless. You need what you need today, because you do, and thats about it.

I do the same, but try not to. The why is meaningless. Lets both try to stop wondering why and concentrate more on now!

Return to “Anxiety”