Secular meditation?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
SallieMaesBitch
Issues: Dysthymia, general anxiety, hoarding, overeating, cutting, alcoholism, hypomania
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Secular meditation?

Post by SallieMaesBitch »

Thank you for this post, E is for Elephant, I was doing some meditation a while ago and was getting so frustrated by the woo in it and everyone treated me like I was the idiot. Meditation has very clear benefits well backed up by science, but it is so hard to find something that isn't loaded up with made up gibberish. I was involved in a Shambala group for a year which seemed to have a minimum of woo, but it still came up anytime I talked with the people there, but for the most part it was a good experience and I was grateful for the opportunities they provided. The best though, was a heroic life coach I found on Meetup taught happiness classes which involved secular meditation. I know and value just how unique he and his services were, but I think this might be one of those things that you should provide it since no one else is likely to be doing it. Perhaps you should create your own secular meditation meetup group. I imagine there would be a lot of interest in it.
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Imissmysun »

So I have done meditation in a zen temple and its cool - but not necessary - there is just basics - you sit in as quiet a place as you can manage - your bedroom your back yard a space you find some comfort in - you take note of your breath - you focus on it - you breath in you breath out - you keep counting to 10 - if you notice a stray thought - just note it do not follow it and start over at 1 - it takes time - it takes practice - but I swear to non-God-whatever you want to think or call a thing that it - that it helps - honestly when you are stressed or huring or feeling deadened you forget to breathe - and you hold onto your breath - and just sitting with your breath and noticing it and feeling cool air come in and hot aor come out and just being with your body in the moment is a really cool feeling
Hope this helps - when I actually do it - it helps - but doing self care is hard and it sucks because I don't like thinking about myself at all - so I get it
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
EmeraldArcher

Post by EmeraldArcher »

I use an mp3 I found on Amazon that I really like. It has no religion or spirituality in it. It's all psychology and mental imagery. It's called "Feel Good" and it's by Bonnie Groessl. It's $1.29 or free if you have Amazon Prime.

Return to “Anxiety”