Convention(al) Anxiety

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Convention(al) Anxiety

Post by Imissmysun »

Oak -

I wish I could be as intune to all the craziness that politics are bringing into our culture this year - but I honestly have not really had much thought of it - my life is a zoo - I really have no time or care for whatever happens - it often feels like it has so little bearing on actual day to day life - the arguing and back and forth and refusal to work together means the only thing that ever passes is random safety laws -

Anyway - That is neither here nor there and I am sure if I lived near a major metropolis instead of the lamest city in Central New York I would also have concern - the thing is that I live in a really apathetic part of the state - they were going to have a black lives matter rally - and they expected thousands of people - only about 200 showed up - so thats the city I live in - its the little city that never will - in fact there was a Father's Day Party with more people in attendance and more issues than this event -

I am really glad that your preparations have you feeling safe - that is good - I would love to feel stock piled and safe - but that takes disposable income - I have no idea what that would look like
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
oak

Re: Convention(al) Anxiety

Post by oak »

Thanks for your post, Imissmysun!

Yes, I understand the lack of disposable income. Many, many times I'd have $20 (or $15 or $10) for food for a week. And I was working 35 hours a week, and doing a good job at it.

As I started to get paid a little more, I'd grab, now and then, some bottled water or Vienna sausages at the dollar store. As long as there is water, and a little food, we can make it through. It need not be anything fancy.

Thoughts on the convention

With the darn thing over, I am relieved nothing bad happened.

I am left wondering: what was the point?

I doubt anyone changed their mind, or grew to love others. What I am getting at: what was the purpose? If it did have a purpose, was it worth the expense?

A brief word on "Prep":

(TW for traumatic disasters, human-made and otherwise. This is your warning.)

On that awful day, that is all the more difficult to discuss or think about as time goes on, September 11: I was asleep, hungover, and unemployed. Unbeknownst to any of us, one of the planes flew overhead.

In 2005 I remember watching the Katrina (also heartbreaking all these years later) coverage I vividly remember vomiting from drinking too much. What was left of Katrina came through, and I was astonished at how much water it was. And I was 1000 miles away. Just so much rain. Of course, I was unemployed.

In 2012 for Sandy I was sober for four years (yay!), but I happened to be fired twice in the previous six months. I'd gotten my first smartphone the week before, and I vividly remember the darn thing's battery dying. Since the power was out, I had no means of communicating or hearing news.

After thus many experiences did I decide to "prep".
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Anxiety”