Hurting

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
MariaElizabeth
Issues: Depression and anxiety

Hurting

Post by MariaElizabeth »

I am not sure if there is anything anyone can do, but I need to reach out anyways...

I had my first anxiety attack yesterday. It started during work and just wouldn’t go away. I managed to get off early. Had to take the bus, so the commute home was hell. Took my meds when I got home (50mg Zoloft), and they knocked me out enough to get some sleep. Made it through work today, but am at home now. Still raw and hurting, praying that this feeling goes away.

I really need some love sent my way. I know that I am not alone, but my brain is trying to scream that I am. :cry:
oak

Re: Hurting

Post by oak »

Maria, thanks for sharing.

You are certainly not alone. Our own Kevin Love has panic attacks, and so do I. You're in fairly good company :)

The other good news is that there are things you can do today:

1. Do you have an EAP through work? If so, call them tonight. Most are 24 hours. If you don't know if you have an EAP, ask your supervisor or HR tomorrow.

2. Call 211 (or your local equivalent) and tell them what you told us.

3. I found this workbook helpful:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia ... ook+bourne

You have lots of tools and lots of people who want to help you. People intuitively want to help people struggling with anxiety.

I have a humble thread about the workbook my EAP counselor recommended to me: http://mentalpod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11778
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

*hugs* (if you want)

Anxiety attacks are the worst. Since it's a first, please make an appointment with your doctor, rule out a medical issue as well as get whatever help they recommend.

I JUST remembered you are working up to full dose of Zoloft. Please, please call your doctor's office ASAP. I know the phone probably weighs a million pounds right now. Better safe than sorry, my friend.

Much love and good luck.
MariaElizabeth

Post by MariaElizabeth »

Ok guys, quick update. I have a phone appointment with my depression care manager tomorrow. She also helps me with my anxiety. She may be able to tweak my medication, so I will talk to her and see what she says. I have been on 50mg on Zoloft for over a week now. It’s really effective with my depression, so it may just require a different dose. She might be able to also get me into a therapist sooner, which would be nice.

I’m feeling a lot better today. Not 100% yet, but I am slowly getting there.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

That's good news, indeed.
Glad to hear you have good support from your medical team. That's priceless.
MariaElizabeth

Post by MariaElizabeth »

Update. Had my phone appointment with my depression care manager, and I actually doing quite well. Despite the anxiety attack a few days ago, I am making some progress, and she was happy with how I handled things. (I went back to work the next day, which she said was important.) I’m going to be staying on Zoloft for the time being, but my team is now aware of my side effects. I may hit a few more bumps in the road, but things should smooth out in a few weeks.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

Thanks for the update. For me, going to work or whatever else I need to do is important, too. Not saying I never take a day, but hiding can make it worse. Structure is everything.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

Thanks for the update. For me, going to work or whatever else I need to do is important, too. Not saying I never take a day, but hiding can make it worse. Structure is everything.

Return to “Anxiety”