Panic Attacks on the Weekends

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
LostInThought83

Panic Attacks on the Weekends

Post by LostInThought83 »

I woke up again this morning with that heart-racing, mind-scattering, panic coursing through my veins yet again.

About two months ago I stopped going to my pysch doctor because he told me that he didn't think my panic attacks were real and that I was basically just drug-seeking. As a result of this I'm no longer on any medication, which is better feeling overall because I didn't like the way it made me feel at all. Since then I have been mostly fine, better mood overall and none of the side effects from my medication-- stiff muscles, blurred vision, etc.

But I have continued to have panic attacks. These never went away on the medication and my doctor was dismissive of them when I started seeing him and later moved onto the more hostile accusation of drug-seeking. Obviously, I don't enjoy the panic attacks and generally only experience them a couple of times a month.

Today was yet another attack. I'm not sure what sets me off still but it takes all day and sometimes two or three days to fully recover. I had plans to spend the day with my extended family and now I've missed that opportunity completely. I hate having to force myself to sleep through the day instead because it's the only non-medical way I am able to calm myself down.

I'm not even sure what I am trying to say here nor am I sure what I want to hear in response if anything at all. I'm just frustrated with this process and tired of looking for a new doctor that accepts my insurance and is in my area.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Panic Attacks on the Weekends

Post by manuel_moe_g »

I will post low/no cost mental health resources links.

Please take care. For anxiety, I am trying to practice mindful breathing in through the nose and out the mouth with my belly expanding with each inhale.

LostInThought83, you deserve relief from your pain. I hope the links below help you. You deserve the resources to live a life of fulfillment and accomplishment and flourishing. All the best.

___.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.___

United States website to find sliding scale "low/no" cost mental health services. Also information on medication assistance: NeedyMeds - Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics U.S. Database

Discussion of low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: Maria Bamford podcast, Episode 95, Jan 04 2013 at minute 6:00.

If you think you might need this resource, then you definitely need this resource - please check out the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN at RAINN.org

Google searches for low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: your town or county + one of these terms:
  • low cost counselling service
  • sliding scale counselling service
  • CMHC
  • community mental health
  • community service board office
From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
Here is a post and thread on Reddit about getting medication at low or no cost: Community Assistance Program, accepted at Target pharmacy and many other pharmacies

Cheers to you, for scrolling all the way down to the bottom of this copypasta! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

I was in the same situation (some around here may remember) and calling the social service department of you county is always a great first step.

EDIT - Crap, I see I rehashed what MMG just said..

John
weary

Post by weary »

Hi LostInThought83,

Moe has already given you lots of good resources, so I won't try to chime in on that. I'm more interested in hearing about your panic attacks. Your thread title says you get them on weekends - only on weekends? Do you know why? It might be a clue as to what is triggering them. I definitely have a different sort of anxiety coursing through my veins on the weekend than during the week, and sometimes it does get me really worked up and disrupts things.
hate having to force myself to sleep through the day instead because it's the only non-medical way I am able to calm myself down.
I can't sleep when I'm anxious and upset. Exercise, yoga, or meditation are some calming/soothing techniques that work for me.

You're not alone in struggling with this and having a challenge figuring out how to effectively manage it.
LostInThought83

Post by LostInThought83 »

Moe & BCZF-- Thank you for all of the resources. I've looked into a few of them.

Weary- I sometimes get keyed up when I'm having a panic attack but still, attempting to sleep seems to be my best strategy. And as for timing, the majority of my attacks do happen on the weekends. I think it's having a lot of extra time to be inside my own head. I'm better when I'm busier.

As a follow-up, I have gotten back to my family doctor who is much more reasonable and compassionate. The weekend panics have yet to subside but I only picked up my medication yesterday.

Does anyone else get these panic attacks on weekends or other times when they have too long to think?
morecatsplease

Post by morecatsplease »

Hey there! I've experienced morning and weekend panic attacks, I'm not sure how common it is but be assured that you are not alone. I completely relate to having a racing heart rate in the morning, coupled with an onslaught of anxiety-producing thoughts. Speaking for myself, mornings have always been hard during depressive states... I'm not sure what it is, but I am assuming that it is probably related to series of physical and mental conditions that culminate in what basically results in bad, unrestful sleep. The strange thing is that I often feel balanced during the evenings, as if the anxiety/depression tapers off during the day. I've been listening to a lot of sleep studies recently that indicate a direct correlation to sleep and mental illness as well.

I've tried several things to deal with this anxiety. I've found that getting out of bed and out of the apartment ASAP is best. Having a routine. Also, exercise helps... whenever I would go through one of those panicked states, I would take a long walk almost to the point of exhaustion. It was almost as if I were trying to get a grip on my body, almost punishing it so that it would 'function' normally as I would definitely perceive the anxiety physically. Another thing I've tried is writing first thing in the morning, something I picked up from a book called The Artist's Way. Basically, you get up and spill out anything and everything you have going on in your head onto paper. And I mean anything... it doesn't have to make sense, you can repeat the same thing over and over, whatever. Keep it to three pages or so. I found that putting anxieties to paper, to objectify it in a sense, helps because it literally becomes a tangible thing.

I'm not to certain about the weekend anxieties, but I think it might have something to do with a break in routine and having all the expectations that a weekend brings. More expectations = more anxiety.

Hope you are doing well!
Exhausted Mom

Post by Exhausted Mom »

I don't get panic attacks myself, but my son and husband both do/did. My husband has not had them in a very long time and that is because he went through neurofeedback. Not sure if they offer it where you are, but it has helped my husband like nothing else. He is now not on any meds and his anxiety is under control. Just a side note, my husband is a very sceptical person and was reluctant at first. Now he knows it saved him. I also went fir other reasons and my son is now doing neurofeedback and we are seeing results.

Return to “Anxiety”