sense of doom

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
waffled

sense of doom

Post by waffled »

Earlier today I felt myself kind of dissociating with the world around me and got scared about it and started feeling a sense of impending doom that eventually escalated like 20 minutes later into a mini panic attack (or limited symptom attack I guess, my breathing was off, I felt anxious and felt the doom thing). Then later I felt it when I was thinking about something and it keeps coming back whenever I think about anything stressful or about making mistakes. I've read that you can get this before seizures and strokes and I'm terrified that's what is happening to me even though there is an emotional connection to the sense of doom and anxiety I am feeling. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? I'm so scared my brain is gonna explode or something. The doom has this physical feeling to it in the back of my head.
WiltedRose

Re: sense of doom

Post by WiltedRose »

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. It sounds very frightening. I cannot offer any medical advice, of course - but if you are concerned it is very physical - don't hesitate to contact your physician. I know anxiety can manifest in weird physical symptoms as well, but you never want to assume....
I hope these waves of whatever-it-is start to subside and you are feeling better soon. I think if it were me, I'd probably start to get more freaked out just anticipating when the feeling will occur again....
Hang in there.
Wilted Rose
lawlessness45

Post by lawlessness45 »

Hello WiltedRose,
I can sympathize with you about the sense of doom thing. I don't know exactly what you are experiencing, but for me it is just a generalized sense that I am going to die. That the entire world is going to kill me. Like, I picture myself having a heart attack or getting hit by a car or just keeling over for no reason. I can be sitting at home and have the random thought that a car is going to drive through the front of the house and kill me--it's especially bad when I'm driving. I almost expect to get into a wreck every time I get into a car. It makes me a very cautious driver, but operating under that sense of "omg I'm going to die" really sucks. It is almost like it is inevitable, like it's fate, something that can't be avoided and that you KNOW will happen. And no matter how many times you tell yourself that it won't, or that it is silly to feel this way, or that your mind is just screwing with you, you still feel it. You can't talk yourself out of it. I'd encourage you to talk to your doctor or psychiatrist about it. Maybe they can offer some suggestions? It may be a medication you are taking. I was taking Restoril and while I was on that it was 1000 times worse. Like I couldn't drive and I almost became a recluse. I know some medications have side effects of anxiety, so I'd encourage you to research what you are taking. I also want to offer you encouragement, and let you know that someone else out there can sympathize with what you are experiencing. I hope things have gotten better for you.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
Sarah Williams
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

So sorry that you had that "doom" come on to you...I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you about the physiological stuff, but I think it is highly unlikely that you will get strokes. My husband used to have severe panic attacks that I would take him to the ER only to find out everything physical is ok. So if you don't have underlining conditions, it will likely not have devastating effects to your health. But mentally, it is devastating to have this kind of condition. Stress and the fear of making mistakes can cause all sorts of physical symptoms. I have fibromyalgia due to my mental issues. After years of getting physical therapies like massage and acupuncture, I am finally starting to realize that the only way I can calm my physical symptoms is to deal with what's really going on inside my heart. I was in denial for years and the pain persisted. I wanted others to fix me. After about 8 months of dealing with my inner issues, my pain has subsided. Not completely and I don't know if it ever will, but I took the focus off of that and put my focus on my heart. Our emotions are so much more important than our physical symptoms. Another reason why I was in denial was because I thought tending to my heart and my issues was weak. Or maybe subconsciously it was so overwhelming that I just kept sweeping it under the rug and focused on exterior things. It all starts from the heart, nothing will go smoothly if we don't start there. I'm trying to be patient with myself and tell myself that I can take all the time I need to figure it out.
ArmyOfMe80

Post by ArmyOfMe80 »

I know what panic and anxiety is like. It is a tough place to be in, because it can really convince you that you're dying, about to have a heart attack, etc. Emergency Room bills can be very easily racked up in his state of mind. I definitely don't want to say to you, "Never see a doctor" if you feel certain symptoms. That would be irresponsible advice. But drink some water, take some long deep breaths, go for a walk around the block if you can, and really try to calm yourself down and tune into your intuition. Is it real, or the panic and anxiety playing tricks?
Spottydog
Issues: Anxiety, depression, self worth, body image, family trauma
preferred pronoun: She/her/hers pronoun

Post by Spottydog »

I feel like this today. Now I am young and healthy, the feeling is more like I'll be walking alone and someone will randomly decide to kill me or I end up being hit by a drunk driver.

Also my mom hasn't called in 5 days. She usually calls all the time. :(
wd82
Issues: Anxiety, alcohol abuse
preferred pronoun: he

Post by wd82 »

Waffled,

I am a health professional, though not strictly a mental health provider. So, still these things should be confirmed by your doctor/psychiatrist if you have one. However, at 33 yo, I can tell you I've experienced the near exact same feelings. It's debilitating and scary, and makes you fall into a negative feedback loop where it gets worse because you can't stop thinking about it. I had tests run and talked with doctors, and I can say it wasn't anything physical for me. That is the hell of anxiety, and it's duplicity. It mimics just about any physical health problem and tries to mask itself so you don't have to deal with the real issue. I would talk with a therapist/psychiatrist if you haven't, and support groups go a long way in alleviating that sense of isolation. Of course because we are dealing with irrational fears, it may calm you and start you in the right direction if you confirm it's nothing physical with your doctor first.

I do understand, and have felt it. I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but you're taking a step to help yourself and should be congratulated.

Return to “Anxiety”