Night Eating Syndrome

This topic can also be found under Addictive Behaviors
verne
Issues: Depression, anxiety, eating disorders
preferred pronoun: she

Night Eating Syndrome

Post by verne »

Hi there. I'm wondering if there are other peeps on here who have/engage in Night Eating Syndrome. Typically, the vicious cycle goes like this: restrict all day, then eat more than 50% of your daily caloric intake for supper, which tends to be later than average, then perhaps eat or snack more till bedtime, as well as eating when waking up in the middle of the night. Then, because I've eaten in the middle of the night, I'm not hungry for breakfast, and so the cycle continues.

I go in stretches where I don't eat upon midnight waking at all, which is good, and my disordered eating is much less severe than it has been in the past, but the night eating habit is still a problem. Has to do with self-soothing and a childhood where eating was linked to feelings of shame and body shame. (Thanks, Mom!) Because it edges upon the symptoms/behaviours of bulimia as well (which I've also dabbled in) i.e., restriction and private quasi-binging, it's typically categorized as an "ED(NOS)".

Anyway, I haven't seen anybody post about it here, so thought I'd bring it up and see if anyone out there is going through similar struggles...I'd love to hear your experiences.
"perfection is the emeny of good" :D
Depression|Anxiety|ED(NOS)
Self-employed in the Arts (read: "Broke")
Can't afford psych diagnosis/meds
So I donate to MIHH sometimes
oak

Re: Night Eating Syndrome

Post by oak »

Hello!

I've not heard of this, but I am glad you posted.

Food, while always good, gets almost magical after 10 pm for me, partly because it is so forbidden! Everything tastes great around midnight.

I am very glad to hear your report that your disordered eating is much improved. Well done!

While I can't say that I've struggled with disordered eating, I do often mistake food for love.

Thanks for sharing!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Eating Disorders”