June: less screens.

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
oak

June: less screens.

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

For all sorts of reasons I want to cut way back on my phone useage/time wasting in June. I spend hours a day on Reddit, Flipboard (news), and Wikipedia apps.

I also want to get more serious and diligent with my habit of no screens after 9.

To that end I got some books out from the library.

I'll post here later with an update. Thanks for listening!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: June: less screens.

Post by snoringdog »

Books are a comfort.

I've always found it much more relaxing to read from the printed page.
Books, magazines, newspapers....They all have a bit more of an editorial hand behind them.

The web is great for a lot of things, but sometimes it seems designed to induce ADD/ADHD in the user...
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Good luck, Oak! I know you'll feel better.
Heather
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks for your encouragement, friends.

I certainly moved the needle, though "no screens after 9" usually meant "tearing myself away from unimportant stuff on my phone at 10:30".

Two things:

1. I do want/need more books from the library.

2. Since I work late (long story, but mostly unavoidable), two thirds of the time I stay up later than I intend is because I am ravenously eating ill-advised meals at 9 pm. I know my ideal is a small dinner at about six, but that is not quite the situation.

Going forward

I have set my phone to go off everyday at 8:51. to snooze, then turn off at 9 sharp (since "just a few more minutes" often means an hour and a half),

Here are things I can do if I naturally wake up earlier: tai chi, Pokemon Go, study code, sleep in.

Thanks for listening!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

I have an Iphone from work. Not sure where the app came from, but recently it's been giving me stats on weekly usage. Good reminder of what a time-suck it can be if I'm not careful...

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”