Shoulder hurts/Quiet Sunday

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
oak

Shoulder hurts/Quiet Sunday

Post by oak »

Hi friends. I really really don't want to post this, to get this all out, to use my words, so it is all the more important that I do.

I'm only as sick as my secrets, so here goes:

Shoulder

1. My shoulder hurts.

I am trying martial arts (more anon) at the urging of a good friend.

After years of sedentary office work (cramped over a keyboard), I realize at age 43 this may be my last chance to really be physical (more anon).

I've been to two classes, and had a total blast. Totally great. The guys, my age and older, said that I am not too old or too unfit to do it. So far so good.

However, I think I've strained/sprained/???? my right shoulder.

The pain/soreness is a 3 of 10.

I have an appointment with my excellent physical therapist on Wednesday.

I realize I can also take action by core work and gentle stretching (read: tai chi, which I completely love).

So there it is, my secret: my shoulder hurts.

Run ragged. Can't shut off brain.

2. Though I am not much of a Bible scholar, ever since I was in graduate school I realized the wisdom of taking one day off a week. Essentially, no driving, no errands. Just eat and play Skyrim and listen to This American Life.

Against my better judgment I failed to do so last weekend, and now I can't shut my brain off.

Fortunately, I got whatever errands are going to get done, so the plan is to do glorious nothing tomorrow.

I'll post later with an update.

Happy report:

though I've only been to two classes, my vibe must be totally different: I've gotten more compliments from women (4) than I have in the previous ten years.

:o
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Shoulder hurts/Quiet Sunday

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Here's how I see it:
Your shoulder hurts because you're in the game, living life! You've asked for help from someone who has helped you in the past.
You've learned from recent experience that a day off is important to you. You've now made sure that will happen.
Real confidence and self-acceptance is attractive. Feeling good makes people want to be around you!
Sounds like you've done well this week! Enjoy your down time.
Heather
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

You rock, Oak! And in case you're still counting, you've now received 6 compliments from women (4 + Heatherwantspeace + me)

:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

I'm just getting over a frozen right shoulder, so I can relate.

It started last December when I over-exerted myself at work over an extended period of time. Lots of chaos, poor planning, uncertainty, etc leading up to a road show at a hotel with lots of heavy equipment. All the onsite lifting and schlepping exacerbated an old shoulder injury from a skiing tumble years ago (it was kinda like the cartoon snowball with the arms, legs and poles sticking out. :lol:)

One of my problems is not waiting and asking for help, and doing things in anger and impatience. Sometimes overestimating my abilities, though I'm in pretty good shape....

After the trip was over, my shoulder got worse until I couldn't raise my arm past level-with-my-shoulder. Could feel things crunching around in the joint. Sleep was hard because there wasn't any comfortable position at all. A couple of nights I slept sitting up.

Needless to say, this didn't do anything good for my mental state. Persistent pain is really draining...

Fortunately a cortisone shot into the shoulder tendons helped, although not right away. (Had this done a couple of months ago). Went to a local gym and tried to do range-of-motion exercises, some of which hurt pretty bad, so couldn't continue.

But just two weeks ago, for no apparent reason, I found that I could raise my arm over head again without too much trouble. Wow!

So now trying to maintain flexibility and strength thru appropriate exercises, and not overexerting myself.

Thanks for reading, and hope you don't mind my digression on your thread (It does help to type things out sometimes ;) ).
oak

Post by oak »

@HWP and RG: Thank you for your encouragement. You helped me effect my goals. I appreciate you!

@SD: Thanks for sharing! It is good to know that, like the header on this site says, I am not alone. I am glad you are feeling better.

Shoulder

I went to the physical therapist yesterday, and the range of motion etc was all good. Just tweaking muscles I don't normally use. Now I have exercises to effect regularly.

Also, and I will deny under oath typing this, I think the PT student was a little attracted to me.

Sunday Do Nothing

I did indeed, do nothing Sunday.

Or just stuff I wanted: I got some sunshine playing my semi-beloved Pokemon Go (I like fighting Eevees) and getting some hummus/tabooli at the grocery store. Staying in all day is super bad for my mental health, but on days like that I like to have any errands done by 11 am.

As a collarary, I did the exact same thing today, since we are off. I am really trying to limit my screens: addiction is too strong a word, but I am looking at a screen 90% of my waking life. Not good.

Summary

My shoulder feels better and though I went more than a little stir crazy, I kept things calm Sunday.

Thanks for listening and contributing!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”