Am I normal? Will I be okay?

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
oak

Am I normal? Will I be okay?

Post by oak »

Hi friends. I won't even pretend to be cool: can I plainly ask for encouragement?

Wrapping up three full weeks of staying in, I ask:

I am getting a bit antsy. Am I normal?

Will all this coronavirus mess end?

Will I be okay?

Do you think I'm a decent person?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Am I normal? Will I be okay?

Post by brownblob »

You are a decent person. From reading your posts, I would say you are a wonderful person.
You will be okay. You have been through a lot in life already and you are a survivor.
The coronavirus mess will end. The timeline is kind of iffy. A vaccine will probably not be ready for another year, so until then there will be risk. At some point places will be opening back up, but hopefully people don't get to careless. Hopefully, it can be contained enough for life to go on until the vaccine is ready.
You are as normal as anyone, but I would remind you of the last lines of the podcast. You are not alone. Then the quote "Everybody I know is bizarrely beautifully fucked up in some weird way..."
I hate that you lost your car and your job at the same time as this. That is a lot of stress to have to deal with all at once. You are resilient and I'm sure you will bounce back from this.
And I hope that at the end of it all there is a girl waiting in a coffee shop for you.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

If all you’re feeling is antsy then no, you’re not normal. You’re minimizing how you really feel, keeping a lid on it.

Will it go back to the way it was? No. There’ll be a new normal, like there was after 9/11.

Will you survive intact? No, I think this will change everyone.

Are you a decent person? No, unless that’s what you want. You can be whoever you want to be; in unpredictable conditions, over which you have little responsibility. Especially when you’re so busy taking care of yourself, and searching for new ways to get some rest amidst the stress, pain and anxiety.
Last edited by Beany Boo on April 11th, 2020, 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

A healthy man who's spent the first 3 weeks of spring inside and wants to get out? Sounds normal to me.
This will end. Most of us will be okay. You will likely be okay. The odds are in your favour.
I think you're a decent person. You seem kind, and aware, and have always come to my aid when I asked for help. You're not perfect. None of us are. Decency doesn't require perfection.

What you didn't ask: Am I worthy of love? Yes, yes you are. You're loved here and likely elsewhere.

For now, we will do our best, as our best changes day to day, and dream of coffee shops.
Warmly,
Heather
oak

Post by oak »

Many thanks my dear friends. I appreciate each of your kind, thoughtful, generous responses. They've really helped me, especially since this has been the hardest few days of my quarantine.

I am touched by your kindness.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”