I haven't had a hug for 6 months

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
Frootsy Collins

I haven't had a hug for 6 months

Post by Frootsy Collins »

I've hit a wall in my therapy and medication. I feel disconnected from people when I'm talking to them, I feel shame from a crush I have on a coworker. I feel lonely and restless when I have free time. I loose interest immediately after starting to do something to feel better. I want someone to hug me and let me cry into their chest, and fall asleep knowing they love me and that I'm not an ugly fuck-up. Every time I talk to someone on a dating site, hang out with friends during lunch, go to the gym, sit and read in a restaurant or coffee shop, sharing something on Facebook and Instagram reloading for likes, it's all me seeking the feelings from that hug.
"How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."
-Kurt Vonnegut
oak

Re: I haven't had a hug for 6 months

Post by oak »

Hey Frootsie.

I am sometimes creeped out by hugs IRL, so I send you a high five over the internet.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
MizLzie

Post by MizLzie »

Sending a hug your way.

I feel the same way a lot of the time, even though I'm not much of a hugger... sometimes all I want is to be able to collapse into someone's arms, yet I was in a relationship for over a year where I would have never done that. I worry that I will always push people away so that the one thing I am looking for will continue to be unattainable.

Sorry, this is your thread. My rambling is to try and share that you aren't alone. We got ya here. :)
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Frootsy,
You are an important part of this community and I'm sorry to hear you're feeling lonely. I'm sending you the biggest of big warm hugs. I consider you an "O.G." in the Mentalpod community. Your Love Offs are legendary.

Paul :)
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
Frootsy Collins

Post by Frootsy Collins »

Thank you, you guys. I've been having a really touch and go couple of weeks, but at the moment I'm feelings lot better. I start EMDR in a few days and my therapist found some support groups to get in touch with. I also let a friend at work know I was depressed and she offered to have lunch and talk about it. I also reconnected with a friend in Seattle who agreed to help act as part of my support network after I opened up.
I really loved hearing the compliment for my love offs on the podcast. I have to admit I replayed that part a few times for an ego boost. Thank you again for creating such a great show and community for support Paul. It's really been a big part of my recovery and continues to help recharge me.
"How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."
-Kurt Vonnegut
ColemanSilk

Post by ColemanSilk »

Keep fighting. I hope you get to a better place soon.
Cinnamon

Post by Cinnamon »

Well, I know how you feel and I send you hugs....
touch is so important.

My partner died of suicide in late 2012 and I attended a suicide support group - it was an 8 week group and my therapist asked what I thought was helpful. First, I could totally be myself and not pretend I was okay because others got the whole process. But then I realized also - the hugs. I now live alone, I am nowhere near ready to date again and I miss my frequent hugs from him and in the group - we hugged so much - when anyone cried so it was a lot.
So, I know its hard to not have a hug but I am sending you one.
Do you have relatives, friends or others who can hug? for example, in churches that do the "peace" - you can hug others there.

and, I am planning on getting a massage just because human touch is critical....its not personal and yes you pay, but it sounds like you need the healing touch of another human right now.
Best to you.

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”