Just some thoughts

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
acelebrationofreason

Just some thoughts

Post by acelebrationofreason »

Just as the name of the category this post is in, I just really need a hug!
Compared to many others, my problems seem so trivial. I am a undergraduate student, studying what I like, and with my parents supporting me. I am healthy and I live in a very safe area. I love to dance, I love dogs, and I love intellectual conversations.
But I am really lonely. I study abroad, far away from my parents, my sister, and my dog. Due to classes and time difference, I only get to skype with them a few times a week. I don't have any friends in my major because I don't know how to start a conversation with someone. My housemates don't like me anymore (long story). All of the people who I have considered friends always makes excuses or gotten a significant other and don't talk to me anymore.
I hope I'm not depressed. I have school work to keep me occupied of course.
It would be extremely nice to receive some responses so I know I'm not entirely alone.
lawlessness45

Re: Just some thoughts

Post by lawlessness45 »

Hey acelebrationofreason. :) I almost want to assume your major is philosophy because of your screen name! ;) College is challenging, even more so when you are abroad. You are faced with an entirely different culture and way of relating to people. Can I ask what year you are? I had about 2 years during college where I felt really alone and isolated. And the stress of living with room mates who don't like you can really compound that feeling, not to mention create a lot of ridiculous drama. Meeting new people can be terribly intimidating, especially in a collegiate environment. I encourage you to keep trying, though. Even if it's as simple as saying hi to fellow class mates, being friendly and open goes a long way. And I'm not sure about your college, but at mine there always seemed to be something going on--clubs, intermural sports, discussion groups, poetry readings, and the like. Sometimes just taking a few hours off to attend one of these functions can open the door to meeting people and conversations. And you don't even have to talk if you don't want to. I spent a lot if my time at these functions observing and listening, (and smiling lol) until I was comfortable talking to people. At any rate, I understand how you feel. Their were times I just wanted to go home because I spent yet another week locked in the library with no human contact. We can always trade room mate horror stories, if it will make you feel better. Hang in there.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
Sarah Williams
heart

Post by heart »

Sending you a gigantic hug! Just started university a couple months ago, moved far far away from my family and friends. I miss them all, especially my sister and my dog too! I felt really lonely tonight everyone's out doing something and I'm at home alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm socially clueless. Reading your post made me feel more normal and less alone. So thank you! And hugs! You are so not alone! x

ps I love your loves!
Exhausted Mom

Post by Exhausted Mom »

Feeling alone is a very hard place to be. I can't relate to your situation, but I can relate to the feeling alone. Just a thought, maybe there are some support group for students that are abroad. I hope you find some friends and I am sending many hugs. HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS, HUGS.

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”