Left toxic job/new career/social plan/library/coffee shop

Describe any moments from your life that were transformative or revelatory, good or bad.
oak

Re: Left toxic job/new career/social plan/library/coffee sho

Post by oak »

I am two months into my professional exodus from a career that is 96% likely to be automated.

The person I replaced (just like my last job) not only didn't help ease me in (like I did when leaving my previous job), they actively made it worse. I am exhausted.

I am also exhausted from the just starting to recover from the flu. I knew I needed some time off, and my psyche arranged it by getting the flu.

Looking back, I know I chose to leave because of the coming hell of automation and AI for routine office/administration work (ie my previous job).

While I'm still in the same (lonely) apartment, everything else has changed. It is really exhausting to suck at both my new job and martial arts (though no one has given me a hard time at either).

My goal all along was to escape the coming employment hell, when jobs really start disappearing.

Remembering this experience will cure me of any pride when I see others in the future whose jobs are eliminated: "Wow, I'm so smart. I'm so glad I changed careers in 2019, because I am such a genius." Life has really cured me of that.

I think I'll look back on this time of my life fondly, since I really pushed myself. But in the meantime, like most blessings the job is just to endure it.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Wishing you well, and I hope you're feeling better from the flu...

Not sure if your post is meant to be rhetorical or not- I was going to respond, but not sure if that's desired/desirable...

Regards

SD
oak

Post by oak »

Please do respond!

1. I value you and your insights.

2. One of the few good things about a thorough butt kicking by life is that it removes any sense of irony. Everything I said is non-rhetorical.

:)
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Seminal Moments”