My nephew was born today

Describe any moments from your life that were transformative or revelatory, good or bad.
Sherlock
Issues: Depression, anxiety, psychotic break trauma
preferred pronoun: They

My nephew was born today

Post by Sherlock »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO49PZwTPco

This song brought me to tears today; it's all I feel about this new life.

The thing that brings me to tears isn't that he's very mixed racially and may appear very "black"--it's that if he is, how is the world going to treat him? With all this shit going on with police and protests I couldn't stop thinking about him even when he was still a bun in the oven. Now I've seen his face and I had to listen to this song.

I'm already thinking about when he's older and wants to dress how he wants, how he wants to listen to whatever music he wants, do what he wants--no matter what anyone else says to him, I will never blame him for it and ask him to change.

You can follow me
I will protect you

I won't let them harm
Hurt you, no
Ooh yeah
When your heart is breaking

You can follow me
You can follow me
I will always keep you safe
Follow me
You can trust in me
I will always protect you, my love

Feel my love
Feel my love

Pretty sure Bellamy wrote this about his own son... just the "I will protect you--I won't let them harm you" part got me to tear up, because I sure as hell won't with all my "Unkie" powers I have.

Of course he's in very good hands with my sister and wonderful brother-in-law. Just if anything ever goes wrong... I wanna be that Unkie for him.
I'll stay a threat/Stay a raised fist offender/My rebel soul/Will never surrender

Return to “Seminal Moments”