Birds - Endlessly Fascinating

Create a new topic to list your loves or just comment on someone else's.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Birds - Endlessly Fascinating

Post by Mental Fairy »

Since my son was 5 he got pocket money, he learnt to break it down into thirds. Save a third, a third for him and a third for an account for charities at end of year.
For 13 years he has given to the kiwi breeding program.
Absolutely wonderful bird.
The fantail has a spiritual component as Māori belief says if one flies into your home then one family member is taken to sprit world. We have a local albino fantail and it’s beyond beautiful.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Look up our Kereru, it’s our wood pigeon and it known to be drunk on berries for berry season. We find them outside absolutely off their feathery faces on berries. Massive birds. When they fly my cat runs for cover. Our Tui bird has better boobs than most super models! They have white feathers on their chest as mimic everything around then from cell phones to car alarms.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Wheee! Armchair bird watching!

Next best thing to being out there....

Thanks for the insights.

:D
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Would be interested to know if there is a particular bird that when you hear it or see it’s movement it reminds you of a particular time in your life?

I ask this as the sound of seagulls in an early evening or even a misty day takes me to a place in my head that brings images of the coastal towns of England.
When hearing a magpie in the morning I feel so calm suddenly and recall a camp ground I stayed at once as a small child. I can immediately see the fields and trees, damp grass and peace. It really does transform this image in my head into a wonder of peace and calm. A simple bird son can vibrate images remembering a happy time.
When I first really heard the magpie I was sleeping in the front seat of a car we were travelling in. Why? Because it was lockable! A tent was not a safe space for me. When I awoke and saw these two beautiful black and white birds calling to each other it really stuck with me. They spoke in their birdsong and listened. Gathered food and protected each other.

Yet humans can speak and not be heard, not provide protection. Humans are really disconnected at times. Yet these birds had it all! Freedom to fly!
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

What a nice image! Thanks for that.

I can't really recall anything like that, but I *can* remember details of when I saw particular birds,either for the first time, or on an unusual occasion or location.

The concentration, the focus (thru the binocs), and the stillness while patiently waiting for what many times is only a brief glimpse all conspire to cement the memories. And if there happens to be another birdwatcher there to share the excitement with, all the more so.... ;)
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Watched my neighbours fill up bird feeders today and sugar water in a beautiful red feeder. I’ve never seen so many wax eye birds in my life. We all sat there in absolute silence watching nature enjoy. Then a horse over the fence farted and broke the silence! Love nature!
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Whee!

More armchair bird-watching, thank you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvereye
220px-Silvereye.jpg
220px-Silvereye.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Adorable birds. Still doesn’t beat the fantail! I don’t mind it the crap on my washing as they are so cute it’s a privilege!!!
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Bumping this up, since NZ ducks have been mentioned.

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/2365-introducing-new-zealand-ducks

Words that come to mind, for ducks -

Sleek
Plump
Waterproof
Iridescent

Cheeky
Self-satisfied
:lol:
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

cheeky yes, this morning they ate so much food i have a pooh highway down my drive. Nappy for ducks soon to be presented on Shark Tank.

Return to “Love Off”