Nearly Forgotten Best Friend

To start a discussion post a new topic, otherwise just comment on other people's.
SallieMaesBitch
Issues: Dysthymia, general anxiety, hoarding, overeating, cutting, alcoholism, hypomania
preferred pronoun: he

Nearly Forgotten Best Friend

Post by SallieMaesBitch »

I had a dream several weeks ago which really disturbed me in a unique way. In it, I had this best friend named Carlos. He was short, Hispanic, and very funny. He was also very loyal and caring, a great guy. Carlos was 100% a creation of the dream, but in that dream we had a very powerful and real friendship. Here's where it gets weird: at one point in the dream, we both learned that we were in a dream and that Carlos was only a figment of my imagination. I rarely remember my dreams, which is something the dream version of me was aware of and so I started freaking out that I would wake up soon and my best friend would be completely lost. Carlos, true to his nature, was comforting me, saying things like "we all come from nothing and we all go to nothing, it'll be alright." I remember feeling so ashamed, HE was the one about to cease existing and yet he was needing to put effort into calming me the fuck down--if I were any sort of decent friend it'd be the other way around!

Then I woke up and forgot all about him until something in the morning triggered the memory and I wrote down all I could remember which is pretty much all I've just told you. It's such a weird feeling, because one hand I feel like a best friend has died, and on the other hand, I know I've lost nothing at all since there was never anyone there in the first place.
oak

Re: Nearly Forgotten Best Friend

Post by oak »

Profound!

Our psyches are powerful, and will often give us what we need most.

Thanks for posting.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “I Want to Share a Dream I Had or Keep Having”