Alcohol

To start a discussion, post a new topic.
shanarchy

Alcohol

Post by shanarchy »

Last February, my psychiatrist told me I was an alcoholic. I didn't completely believe him, but I decided to quit drinking. It lasted three weeks and since them I want to stop but end up finding excuses to drink again.
~Shanarchy

"You are more talented than you think, more beautiful than you know, and more loved than you can imagine." ~Kandee Johnson
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Alcohol

Post by Cheldoll »

You've made the decision and that's the biggest part. Has your psychiatrist helped you find resources to quit drinking? I can't say that I have experience with this but I know things are always easier with support.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
shanarchy

Post by shanarchy »

Thank you for your reply Cheldoll.

My psychiatrist put me on Effexor and insisted I attend Alcoholic Anonymous meetings. The med has worked well and I found an AA group that I feel comfortable with. That and this website/forum/podcast have been very helpful to me. :)
~Shanarchy

"You are more talented than you think, more beautiful than you know, and more loved than you can imagine." ~Kandee Johnson
Dopamine Fiend

Post by Dopamine Fiend »

Personally alcohol never did it for me, but sooooooo many people are addicted to it or simply abuse it too often. This is no judgement, I've done way too many drugs to pretend I have that right. But it's scary how dangerous alcohol can be, yet it's legal and socially acceptable to get drunk. If you find yourself relating to the people in AA, that's wonderful and exciting because those anonymous groups can be incredibly helpful and healing. I think addicts have a tendency to look at how they're different instead of how they're the same as other people, so if you aren't digging AA so far, don't give up! You made a healthy choice by listening to your doctor and I hope you are still pursuing recovery!
COMING SOON! I'll find an interesting and thought provoking quote later!
MizLzie

Post by MizLzie »

I decided to ease off on the booze in the beginning of December. Definitely more abuse than addiction. Have had moments of heavy, daily drinking, which of course equaled poor health, bad decisions, a general mess...

I haven't quit, but no more at home like I was and moderation when I go out those rare instances. Sometimes it helps to have only a few friends ;)

I'm scared that with the warmer weather coming it will be around more. Caught myself having too much, for my liking, a couple weeks ago. Nearly happened again on Saturday, not too bad - but there was potential. I don't want to give it up completely. I actually enjoy the taste of beer, maybe I have to go the non-alcoholic route...
shanarchy

Post by shanarchy »

Hi Dopamine Fiend,

Thank you for your support.
I agree with you. Since it's legal, the ads are everywhere! On TV, movies, Internet, magazines, newspaper, billboards, ads, ads, ads! My husband drinks, my friends drink, my family and my husband's family drink. It's everywhere.
The AA group has been great. Even better than the psychiatrist. I spend 1½ hours/week with the group and 15 mins/month with the doctor. Definitely better.

Hi MizLzie,

I've been there. I was convinced I could learn to drink in a healthy way. You know, in moderation, only on social occasions and in a safe setting.
In the past 3 months, I've struggled to let my mind and my body adjust to my decision of making a change. I don't think I'm giving up any time soon.

I think that when someone decides to change or modify something about themselves, it is wise to question the reasons behind it.
Whichever route you choose, I'm glad you are here.
~Shanarchy

MizLzie

Post by MizLzie »

Thanks Shanarchy.

My reasons were pretty simple.
1) Hangovers kick my ass - two/three days for one big night out. One night out is NOT worth the pain ;)
2) $$, booze is expensive where I live! Way too expensive
3) My behaviour - I've had way too many regrets the next day, to continue as I was.
4) Alcoholism runs on both side of my family, so I know I'm a sitting target.

That's why I'm hoping moderation will be ok for me, but I have decided that if I start to slip back into old behaviour, I will have to cut if out completely. And I am ok with that.

Thanks for the response and I'm very happy for you that AA is helping.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

I've found a thread on a different forum that really taught me a lot about alcoholism and pitfalls of trying to get sober. John Cheese is one of my Getting Sober heroes. No need to read the whole 230 pages, I sure haven't done that, but it's very easy to see myself in many of these posts...

http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/571 ... version...
When life gives you shit, make shitade.
shanarchy

Post by shanarchy »

Hi Nevina,

I checked out the forum. Thanks for sharing!
~Shanarchy

oak

Post by oak »

How has it been going, Shanarchy?

Anything good or "bad" you'd want to share?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Addictive Substances”