Tinnitus

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
oak

Tinnitus

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

Were I rate the annoyingness of the tinnitus, which is only in my right ear, I'd put it a 4 or 6.

I can't think of any causes from loud music, etc. I am pretty sure this is from stress. It is also possible it was aggravated by the car wreck: it has been a month now, and I've been sore all over for a week.

I've posted threads like this in this forum many times over the years, and I am grateful for the opportunity to do so.

They almost always start with a post like this (just to get this solely in my head and out in an objective reality of posting here), followed by my plan, updates as I effect the plan, and then a happy resolution.

Thanks for listening! I'll post when I come up with a plan.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Tinnitus

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Tinnitus - yes, that rings a bell ;) I'm listening right now!

For your reading pleasure, here are a few posts from awhile ago. (Stressed-out Haiku /poetry phase).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by snoringdog » June 19th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Tinnitus - My constant companion
"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"...

Can I use you as a Mantra,
To let me know I'm still alive?
------------------------------------------------------

They call it "Ringing"
As if of Bells.....

- Joyless Celebration -
- Boring Choir -
- Monotonous Melody -
- Tiny Shrieking -

"........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by snoringdog » June 23rd, 2019, 9:33 am

Luckily it's not too bad for me normally, but I understand that it can drive sufferers to despair, and I believe it.

A lot depends on perception and state of mind. It's possible to get obsessed and fixated on it, and then that's all you can hear.

No cure, just management. Hearing water falling (fountains etc) or rain is pleasant and masks it....

SD
oak

Post by oak »

SnoringDog, hello and thanks so much for your post. Besides being delightful (I especially enjoyed "Tiny Shreiking"), it got me started on better management:

Often the first step to acceptance is to be able to laugh at the situation, and myself. I couldn't help but laugh at "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee", which so perfectly describes tinnitus.

Last night I was trying to read my Amish romance novel, per usual, when the tinnitus kept trying to get my attention.

Remembering the lessons of "Have Cake and Tea with Your Demons"...

https://www.facebook.com/yumiverse/post ... 545393982/

... I put the book down and (metaphorically) told the tinnitus I would listen fully to it for a while, but would choose to get back to the story soon. But for now, the tinnitus had my full attention.

Like you might expect, when I just listened and breathed, the anxiety went down. Eventually it got a little boring, and I had to remember to listen for the tinnitus. I even intentionally tried to hear just it; sometimes I can't tell if I'm hearing it or not.

This is a long way of where I was. On a good day, or a good minute, the tinnitus is simply something there: it has no moral value. I can fully experience it, and then move on. Such is me on a good day!

Because let's not forget that the demon has great riches:

https://twitter.com/yumisakugawa/status ... 68/photo/3
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Thanks for the links. Good advice from Sakugawa-san!

Your response to it is spot-on, and it does work. Many things make tinnitus sound and get worse, ranging from internal factors such as stress, to external like red wine, too much aspirin, earwax build-up, etc etc. Pretty well documented online.

Soothing background sounds can be of help also, such as a waterfall, rustling leaves, etc

There are some sounds you can download as well

https://www.ata.org/ata_s-masking-sound-library

Be well.

SD

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”