Dr. Phil and Dr. Drew

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
Yanon Amos

Dr. Phil and Dr. Drew

Post by Yanon Amos »

Any feelings on these two TV psychologists? I usually like Dr. Drew on certain shows, but his "Live on Call With Dr. Drew" is infuriating. Also not a huge fan of Dr. Phil, who seems like he's using his expertise just to humiliate his guests for the sake of entertainment.

I also question what their TV appearances do for the mental health community in general. If I thought therapy was Dr. Phil making me feel like an asshole, I wouldn't go.

Any other thoughts on this?
oak

Re: Dr. Phil and Dr. Drew

Post by oak »

Good post. Agreed.

First, using "Dr." as a title outside of one's field is...shady?

Dr. Drew Pinsky is an internist. Were I an addict, I'd seek advice from another addict, an internist would not be my first choice. But hey, if Dr. Drew helps someone, cool. His reality show batting average is pretty low (See Mindy McCreedy et al).

If I read wikipedia right, Dr. Phil has a PhD in clincial psych, not an MD. His seemingly ethical grayness (weight loss products, Britney Spears), suggests to me that I do not take his advice uncriticially.

Speaking only for myself, I see them as media personalities. While they may be the best things ever, I'd take their pronouncements on topics outside of their expertise with a grain of salt.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Herself

Post by Herself »

Is it fair to judge Dr. Drew based on his reality show costars? Surely a lot of them are there for TV exposure only, and they remain in a world of excesses.

Mind you, I'm not a fan or apologist, just making a comment.
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

Love Dr. Drew, but not Dr. Phil. From what I hear, Dr. Drew is more interested in exposing the world of addiction and it's treatments. He does have training in the world of addiction, serving as resident doctor for psych wards. I listen to his podcasts - his original one, his one with Adam Carolla, and the other with Mike (a person he worked with on Loveline, can't remember his last name).

You can't really hold him accountable for someone's actions outside of his treatment center...nor can you hold him accountable for their behaviors IN treatment. It's his job to keep them safe, but he can't control their behavioral choices, just respond to them.

You can learn more about him and what he does in his podcasts, and his own podcast is really beneficial in terms of learning about sexual/addiction/behavioral health. He DOES approach it from the perspective of an internist, but because of training in the psychological health world, he's a much more valuable resource than the regular GP with very little training. We definitely need more internists who advocate for mental health training in that world, because a lot of people with psych problems DO go to their GPs, then get sent away with meds and that's it. Hearing him talk about psychological problems from a medical perspective is really validating, at least to me, in knowing that for many of us, it IS a medical problem.

Phil....is he still accredited? Is that the right term for it? The way I've seen him behave on his TV show and outside, I have very little respect for him. It's hard for me to respect a doctor who capitalizes on the diet product industry - opting to sell "quick fixes" - instead of advocating for life changes.

He really lost me on how I've seen him treat people with eating disorders on his show.
Yanon Amos

Post by Yanon Amos »

Fair enough, all great responses.

Dr. Drew really only bothers me on Dr. Drew On Call. From what I've seen of it, it's really just a step away from Nancy Grace. Mostly I'm bothered by his other panelists. It's VERY judgmental, and that's what people want to hear. I feel like people watch Dr. Drew and even more so, Dr. Phil, so they can hear an expert judge someone else, feel like they "know something" about mental illness in other people, and certainly not because they want to work on themselves. It just seems self indulgent.

I might be going too far on this one, but I think Dr. Phil is emotionally abusive. He obvious has knowledge of how people think, and mental illness, but he chooses to use it by denigrating other people in the most personal way possible on TV. He can see what people's flaws are, and he presents them in a negative way so they audience will respond with disgust. There's really very little compassion for people who have done something wrong. I know he tries to make it positive after the fact, but I feel like the damage is already done.
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

Definitely agree on Phil. Can't stand the guy.

Drew's made some mistakes, definitely Phil....but hearing his podcasts he's completely honest and does talk about the things producers did to make him seem like a bad guy. I never saw On Call, not a tv fan, simply for the reason you said now - that talk show/reality bullshit is so skewered. It's all manipulated in a manner that's very gossipy/preachy/"quick fix" type things that indulges the worst parts of our personalities.

By that rationale I guess I should give Phil a chance, too, on any podcasts he has, but I'm worried Oprah get me...
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

Dr. Phil is a jackass I don't buy his homespun country bullshit, I just don't.

Dr. Drew is alright I suppose he can get on my nerves a lot but what does it matter really? He's not my internist I don't have to listen to his advice. The thing that really bothers me about his podcast is the dopes who call in. "I've been listening to your shows since forever. Now please tell me what to do about this (problem X) that you deal with EVERY SHOW. I don't know what to do." If you really did listen to him that long why are you asking advice? You know the drill STOP doing problem X you dope! "I've been sober from alcohol X years but recently stopped going to meetings or doing 12 step and I don't feel sober." Are you kidding me with this? Or better yet get off the phone and go to the ER. There's nothing he can help you with over the damn phone if it's something like suicidal ideation or what have you. I can feel the guests' discomfort when these people call in. They are probably internalizing the screaming at the ipod that I'm doing. This happens EVERY show and frankly I'm about to hit unsubscribe. I've already done so for the Adam and Drew show because Adam is a self indulgent asshole with no thought for others and a severe lack of empathy.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

If it has to do with insurance not being setup that you are calling the show and you want free advice fine. But seriously spend the cash and SEE a doctor, you can't take the money with you if you DIE!
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Dr. Drew podcast is real and intense around issues of mental health

http://drdrew.com/category/podcast/

The interviews with Brody Stevens and Alison Rosen were particularly honest and courageous and surprising.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Yanon Amos

Post by Yanon Amos »

manuel - I'll have to check it out! Other people who's opinions I respect like Dr. Drew (Chris Hardwick being one of them). Maybe it's more the context of that one show I don't like...

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”