Restless Legs Syndrome

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
lance

Restless Legs Syndrome

Post by lance »

Restless Legs Syndrome is not typically thought of as a mental disorder, but lo and behold, it is in the DSM V because of the mental stress it causes. Some, like comedian Bill Maher think the disease is a big pharma creation. I assure you it is not. RLS is torture, to put it simply.

Of the two kinds of RLS, primary and secondary, I have primary, and it is rated as severe. I get sensations during the day and sometimes I have them in my arms, too. The sensations are hard to describe. It isn't painful, though on second thought sometimes it is, like my legs are having heart attacks. Mostly it is an intense tickle feeling. As a child I’d tell my parents that it felt like I had butterflies in my legs instead of my stomach. Try to imagine someone dragging a hair brush down the sole of your foot. That’s the closest I can get to describe what the insides of my legs feel like during an attack.

One of the most bizarre things about RLS is that it strikes when I’m tired and need to rest. Or it can hit while sitting in a car, a bus, train or airliner, places where I can’t get up and move around. There were nights I tried stuffing my leg between the mattress and the wall, using heating pads, ice packs, stretching, bike rides at 0130, or a shower. Exercise actually seemed to exacerbate the sensations. Mostly I’d just ball up a fist and beat the ever living shit out of my legs, as the pain was more tolerable than that damn tickle. It was impossible to read, watch TV, or anything else as the whole of my existence became wanting my legs to stop. How many times did I think “I know this won’t kill me, but right now I wish it would.”

Others with severe primary RLS have turned to alcohol, illegal drugs and even suicide. Some have lost jobs and marriages. I lost a job because of it – how many times can someone call in half asleep? Even though my RLS is now controlled by medication, I still have insomnia. It turns out RLS causes high levels of glutamate to build up in the brain which causes loss of sleep though the RLS sensations have been mostly alleviated. And, recent research has shown men with RLS have shorter life spans than men without the disease. Oh well, big fucking deal.

So now I have two afflictions that are in the DSM. RLS and a type of autism called a nonverbal learning disorder. There are two more chronic illnesses I have, but those are another whole subject. RLS sucks, and so does the NLD. Autistic? Holy shit. RLS? Kill me now.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Restless Legs Syndrome

Post by manuel_moe_g »

My mom has restless leg. I hope you can get a good night sleep, man. Please take care, lance! 8-)
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
lance

Post by lance »

Thanks, I appreciate it. Hope you mom is able to get some beneficial rest as well.
Herself

Post by Herself »

I think Restless Legs Syndrome suffers from the same problem as Chronic Fatigue and Generalized Anxiety Disorder: bad name. You don't get sympathy because people hear the name and think, "so you're just tired? You need to move your legs? So what?" What ever possessed people to give ailments such names? Of course it sounds made up!
lance

Post by lance »

Yeah,RLS is an insipid and stupid name. I'd like to call it Demon Spasms From Hell, but I doubt that will take.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Post by gfyourself »

Oof, I read the entry on Wikipedia, that really sucks.

They should have the people who actually have the disease name it, that could be the worst named disease ever!
lance

Post by lance »

Demon Spasms From Hell Syndrome, dammit.

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”