What kind of therapy works for ADHD?

AlmostWell

Re: What kind of therapy works for ADHD?

Post by AlmostWell »

Full disclosure: I am a psychologist specializing in assessment. :) I am tooting my own horn in a way, but it is true.
Rat Fink
Issues: Depression, ADHD
preferred pronoun: he

Re: What kind of therapy works for ADHD?

Post by Rat Fink »

Oh crap. When I just read "color outside of the lines" it triggered some memories.

In third grade, my mom had to wait for me after school almost every day while I sat at my desk and finished up the day's "color the pictures that are the same" exercises. Simple stuff, but all I could seem to do was tap my foot and/or my pencil and stare out the windows. Didn't help that it was a church school and it was the 60's. I was labelled as lazy, sloppy, stubborn and unmotivated. I'm surprised they didn't flunk me for coloring outside the lines.

Bad as things are now for sufferers, they've been a LOT worse. I think they'll continue to get better as science marches on.

I once worked with an ADHD coach, but had limited success as she didn't seem to fully understand ADHD and was more of a general life coach. AND, she was too nice and let me slide on my goals and deadlines.

I took Adderal for years, Focalyn for years, now I'm on Strattera. It seems to work, but I wish I could modify my behavior to where I could go without meds, as they screw with my blood pressure and make me drowsy. To stop the Strattera now would be occupational suicide.

Dr. Henry Svec (www.drsvec.com), who does an ADHD podcast I listen to, claims to have good success with neuro feedback, but you have to get expensive brain scans first, then do years of expensive feedback sessions. The good thing is that it apparently yields permanent improvement.

It's a really frustrating situation, not having workable therapy available.

Return to “ADD/ADHD”