Pregnancy and medication

angerKa

Pregnancy and medication

Post by angerKa »

I want to hear from any moms who stayed on antidepressants during pregnancy. My hubby wants to have a child of his own ( i have 8y old from 1st marriage). I am currently on Effexor, and I'm afraid to get off meds! I know most antidepressants are risk C - (Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks) so its not confirmed, but possibly dangerous.
Spiderling55
Issues: anxiety, depression, anorexia, PTSD, rape, domestic abuse
preferred pronoun: she/her

Re: Pregnancy and medication

Post by Spiderling55 »

A little late with this reply but I was on Prozac when I got pregnant and spoke at length with my doctor about it. Prozac is also a category C but I was encouraged to weigh the benefits and risks for me personally if I were to wean off of it.

I feel like if more parents are encouraged to make the decision for themselves we will not only have better outcomes from healthy happy pregnancies, but also a better understanding through shared experience of how different medications influence both parent and child. The way we treat pregnancy now doesn't allow for our base of knowledge about these things to grow.

While Prozac was unknown as far as risk to the baby I was encouraged to consider Zoloft which has been much more widely used and so has a bigger knowledge base as far as what to expect. I tried it but it wasn't right for me.

Ultimately I ended up weaning off of everything and it has really been a struggle but I always felt like my care team supported me if I wanted to stay on or go back to meds.

The baby takes in the consequences of a lack of meds too, so it's all about what you decide is best for you.

Return to “Pregnancy”