bought stuff to feel better

Share about your experiences feeling shamed by others or ways you shame yourself.
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

bought stuff to feel better

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Hi All,
I'm feeling some residual shame over something and wanted to share.
The holidays are always hard for me, and although better this year, I still had some deep sadness. I decided to purchase some items online to have the excitement of stuff coming in the post. I guess I feel like I could have done something more productive.
But:
-I did this knowing exactly why I was doing it, loving the awareness which may have not been there in the past
-I can afford these things and the overall amount was not large
-One purchase was quite practical items, the other was some healthy recreational items that I know I will enjoy
-I did not eat or drink mindlessly to soothe
Thanks for listening,
Heather
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: bought stuff to feel better

Post by manuel_moe_g »

This is so great, you are being self-loving and doing so in a sustainable way. Please throw away the residual shame.

Thanks for sharing, happy new year, all the best!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Heather,

Totally understandable. You bought yourself a present! That's allowed, even though you may not think you deserve it. (Is that where the shame idea comes from?)

And we're all a little bit like that anyway - How many times have you heard someone say something like "I'll get this for them because they'd never buy it for themselves"...

And the anticipation of finding/getting something new is in our DNA, right? We're hunter-gatherers from way back... ;)

Wishing you peace in the new year.

SD
oak

Post by oak »

This is one of the all time great MIHH posts.

Thank you so much for your honesty and vulnerability. I really needed to hear this today.

I am proud that you own your actions, got it all out, and can move on.

We are only as sick as our secrets.

I fall short of my goals frequently, including strongly today, so I am heartened to know that I am not alone.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Shame”