New here and asking for advice

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
Charvelle
Issues: depression, anxiety, depersonalisation, derealization
preferred pronoun: she

New here and asking for advice

Post by Charvelle »

Hello everyone,
I'm new and excited and hope that maybe someone can help me with some advice.
So I started listen to the podcast like 9 months ago and when Janet Varney explained in the first episode the symptoms of depersonalisation and derealization I was like "This is me!".
So I don't wanna tell you my whole life story, because it's not that interesting, but I suffer from depression, anxiety, depersonalisation and derealization - at least that's what I THINK.
And that's my problem: I'm looking for a psychiatrist right now and my question for you is: Should I tell them about my self-diagnosis?
I'm so scared that I became obsessed with this disorder that I actually believe I have it and imagine symptoms even though I don't even have it.
So should I tell the psychiatrist right in the first session: "Look, I suffer from this, now help me"?? I mean, THEY'RE the doctor, I have no idea. Sorry if this is confusing, but I'm so afraid of really opening up to someone (especially someone professional) and they'll be like 'You are healthy and just imagine things, we can't help you'.
So.... What should I do? Any advice?

Thanks a lot for reading this. Have a great day. :) <3
oak

Re: New here and asking for advice

Post by oak »

Hey! Thanks for posting. I am really glad to see you using your words. Keep it up.

I don't know about you, but in my job people will describe symptoms to me, and my mind will already categorize the problem and come up with 2-5 solutions.

What I need are: (1) precision (2) specific examples. If they can't/won't tell me what the problem is, or where it is, I can't help them. If they can describe something, however unclearly, it gives me a place to start.

While they're of a technical, rather than medical/emotional, type I think the same premise applies to your situation.

If you can give specifics of your struggles (ie physical symptoms, time of day, sleep and eating habits, etc) your doctor's fine mind can click.

What, objectively, leads you to believe you experience x?

I ask not to invalidate your experience, but to try to get you to think in concrete, specific terms that the doctor can use. Somewhere to start.

Is this making any sense?

:)
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

oak wrote:Hey! Thanks for posting. I am really glad to see you using your words. Keep it up.

I don't know about you, but in my job people will describe symptoms to me, and my mind will already categorize the problem and come up with 2-5 solutions.

What I need are: (1) precision (2) specific examples. If they can't/won't tell me what the problem is, or where it is, I can't help them. If they can describe something, however unclearly, it gives me a place to start.

While they're of a technical type of symptoms in my job, rather than medical/mental/physical/emotional symptoms you describe, type I think the same premise applies to your situation.

If you can give specifics of your struggles (ie physical symptoms, time of day, sleep and eating habits, etc) your doctor's fine mind can click. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I ask not to invalidate your experience, but to try to get you to think in concrete, specific terms that the doctor can use. Somewhere to start.

Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Hey! Thanks for posting. I am really glad to see you using your words. Keep it up.

While they're of a technical type of symptoms in my job, rather than medical/mental/physical/emotional symptoms you describe, type I think the same premise applies to your situation.

If you can give specifics of your struggles (ie physical symptoms, time of day, sleep and eating habits, etc) your doctor's fine mind can click. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

oak

Post by oak »

Sorry for the weird triple post!

The edit button went askew for me. Typical of my week!
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Post by Murphy »

I would tell them what your experience was. That you heard about this disorder and you think you have it for reasons x,y,z. Just be as honest and upfront as possible. Good luck!
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
Charvelle
Issues: depression, anxiety, depersonalisation, derealization
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Charvelle »

Thanks to both of you, it helped a lot hearing the opinion of other people!
Okay, specific symptoms, that makes sense. I do have a lot of specific symptoms, so this should be no problem to tell a professional.
Thanks again! It means a lot to me. :)

Return to “Introducing yourself!”