New & a bit intimidated - this is all new

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
CallMeKate
Issues: Depression, Anxiety, OCD, Panic, and Personality Disorder.
preferred pronoun: she

New & a bit intimidated - this is all new

Post by CallMeKate »

Hi MIHH Tribe - I was so excited to find this podcast about 3 weeks ago. Listening to others stories has been amazing. I have learned many new things, gained some great insights, and enjoy the surveys. It is such a comfort to know that I am not alone anymore, that others feel, do, think, say, hurt, and fear just as I do.

A bit about me - 46 yr old female, oldest of three daughters, mother to one daughter and one awesome dog named Shorty. Have struggled with depression, anxiety, panic disorders, PTSD, insomnia (worst), personality disorder, denationalization episodes which is crazy terrifying, suicidal ideation, hospitalizations, and thankfully survived what my doctor terms a "serious suicide attempt" in 2012. I've been in therapy since my early 20s and have now been with the same therapist for about 11 years. I was so proud when earlier this summer my therapist felt like I was ready to reduce my sessions to an as needed basis. that felt great, so proud of all my hard work and commitment. Unfortunately, my father passed in May of this year which has been a difficult time, so I've been going back for regular sessions every other week. I am so glad I have her.

Anyway...I had never heard of a podcast before I found the mentalpod website - now i listen daily, fill out surveys weekly (my first week of "joining" Paul read my survey on the show with Mara Wilson, I kinda freaked out a bit about that) and want to become an active member of this community.

So - that's my intro.

Best wishes to any and all that may read this post - I am happy to be here.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: New & a bit intimidated - this is all new

Post by brownblob »

Welcome to the forum Kate. I'm glad you found the podcast and that you've survived all your struggles.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Hi CallMeKate

I’m in my mid 40’s too. Coming up to I think 10 years of weekly therapy on a minimal budget.

I have a rigid personality which is highly empathic. That doesn’t translate into interpersonal ability though, or work productivity. People basically can’t bear to listen to me because it makes them feel; a lot. I’m functional; strangely, saying that fills me with pride. I spend as much time as possible on my own. I feel lonely when people talk to me; their vocal tone hurts me. There’s a long arduous history there but I’ve developed precious awareness and skills.

I discovered podcasts this year and then MIHH shortly thereafter. It’s certainly comforting to know that other people out there are struggling and that we can share insight. Welcome to the forum.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
PhryneFisher
Issues: Depression, codependency, compulsive behavior
preferred pronoun: She

Post by PhryneFisher »

Thank you for sharing your story!

Return to “Introducing yourself!”