Introducing myself!

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
smalldarkcloud
Issues: depression, shyness, social anxiety, possibly borderline
preferred pronoun: he

Introducing myself!

Post by smalldarkcloud »

Hi:

I am a 41-year old living in the New York City area, just introducing myself on the forum. I have been an avid listener to the show for several years, and I've browsed these forums without participating for quite some time. I finally gathered up the courage to create an account and participate.

I've struggled all of my life with severe depression, social anxiety and severe shyness. I often have trouble expressing my feelings, which isn't the same as not having any. At times, I've been accused of being a total blank. I know that isn't true. I have specific interests (jazz, movies, fiction, playing the ukulele). Hearing that hurts, though. One of my parents was (and still is, occasionally) emotionally abusive, and my other parent enabled this behavior. I still love them, but my childhood experiences damaged me, so it's a complicated kind of love.

I resisted therapy for quite some time. When I finally started, my first therapist was terrible, and the situation was a disaster. As I had no baseline experience for what therapy was supposed to be or work, it took some time for me to realize the truth. Thankfully, the therapist I currently see (the second) is wonderful and helps me enormously. Now I know how therapy should work.

Too many paragraphs starting with "I," but this is an introduction! Thank you. I hope to participate in these forums from now and onward.

sdc
ncj
Issues: depression, anxiety, eating disorders

Re: Introducing myself!

Post by ncj »

Hi, sdc -

Welcome! Thank you for sharing, and I'm happy for you having found a good fit in a therapist. Your interests sound cool.

I can relate to your story. Wishing you all the best,

nj
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Re: Introducing myself!

Post by hobojungle »

welcome, friend
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.

Return to “Introducing yourself!”