50-something daughters of alcoholic fathers...

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
JennaM
Issues: Anxiety; ADHD; ACOA/codependency; workaholism
preferred pronoun: She/hers

50-something daughters of alcoholic fathers...

Post by JennaM »

I’ve gone through and worked on a lot and I keep coming back to how much the way my alcoholic father’s quest to punish, shame, and control me - despite my being every teacher’s, friends’-parents’, and boss’s favorite do-gooder, quick-study, model girl-next-door - broke me early in a way that’s just not... fixable.

Is this your experience? Have you hacked the voice in your head (your father’s unpredictable digs and accusations) so that you can function without fear and self-loathing? What’s your best tip for rebuilding that little girl ego that never had a chance? Have you forgiven him? Or your long-suffering mother for not protecting you more? Does it affect your ability to parent or otherwise love in a healthy way?

If this is you, too, then my inner five-year-old girl has a message for yours: you are an awesome tree climber/red rover player/cannon baller/wild blueberry finder/dreamer/speller/scab picker/little sister carer/Encyclopedia Brown reader/Bugles and Table Talk pie eater/etc. etc. etc. and everything you are is exactly as it should be. Messy, funny, curious, hungry, caring, and open. You are wonderful on the inside and the outside. People are going to love you without your even trying, and if they want you to try (to earn their love), that’s your invitation to run with those beautiful strong scabby legs of yours as fast as you can back to the monkey bars or the library shelves or the peanut butter and jelly jars where you feel like yourself and know there is absolutely nothing about yourself that needs changing. You are right to be proud — of your skills, your accomplishments, your appetites, and your unique body and mind. No one — not your father or anyone else, including yourself — is allowed to take that self-peace away from you.

I’m sorry you have such a hard time believing that. It’s not your fault. But if it’s helpful to hear from the outside... most of what you think about yourself is untrue and unfair and unhelpful. From where I’m sitting, you are you and that’s exactly who you were meant to be. Tell that old guy in your head to go look in the mirror and say to the person he sees there everything he’s trying to tell you. You are not too big for your britches, you’re not looking for trouble, you’re not making a spectacle of yourself or up to no good. That’s him. It’s always been him, and it was always what he needed to tell himself. He tricked you and it hurt. But now you know. You’re just the right size, you’re making good trouble, and you are the most lovable and capable and honest you there is or ever was.

Do not hurry; do not rest. -Goethe
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: 50-something daughters of alcoholic fathers...

Post by manuel_moe_g »

JennaM wrote: April 1st, 2021, 3:52 amFrom where I’m sitting, you are you and that’s exactly who you were meant to be. ... You’re just the right size, you’re making good trouble, and you are the most lovable and capable and honest you there is or ever was.
This is really great stuff!

Thanks for posting this, keep the lines of communication open, you are really something special and you are not alone in thinking that!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Wow, JennaM

Wow!

Thank you for posting this. It makes me happy/sad to read it.
I hope this has taken deep root in you.
And can help the next reader.

Regards

SD
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Welcome, JennaM,

Your post is so beautifully written, and I relate to much of it and really feel for you.

I'm a late 50-something daughter of a father who exhibited a lot of the behavior you mention, although he was not an alcoholic but was the child of/sibling of several alcoholics.

I'm glad you're here, look forward to reading more of your posts, and wish you continued healing and love.

rivergirl
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Beautifully put.

Anxiety is not a punishment. It’s your genius and life force in a bottle that has a stopper in the mouth. Having to solve a parents problems for them (when they wouldn’t) is the legacy of abuse.

Knowing you can make trouble at any moment, as an adult, and letting it happen, definitely has a remedial effect. The anxiety of being alive and unpredictable gets put to use.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
JennaM
Issues: Anxiety; ADHD; ACOA/codependency; workaholism
preferred pronoun: She/hers

Post by JennaM »

Thank you to you lovely human people with all your words and hearts and invisible high fives. I found a forgotten chocolate hiding under a bag of lentils today. But reading your messages was better. 💙

Do not hurry; do not rest. -Goethe
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Thank you Jenna for your kind words,

If you find the option ‘Active Posts’ you can view a feed of all the latest posts. I suspect you’d be most welcome to participate.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi

Return to “Introducing yourself!”