Fear for dentistry

Share your creativity; your loves, fears, journal/diary entries, poetry, etc.
janet
Issues: Dental issues,Cosmetic issues
preferred pronoun: she

Fear for dentistry

Post by janet »

I have got severe issues with my teeth and I am advised for a complete denture repair procedure by my dentist at Calgary( http://www.inhomedentures.ca/services/c ... -dentures/ ).But since childhood , I am very much scared of dentists and their treatments. Someone, please suggest me how I could overcome this fear and kindly share your inputs on how to achieve "no pain" during the treatment
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Fear for dentistry

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I don't know if this exists in Canada, but in the States there's such a thing as sedation dentistry. Basically, they put you under light anesthesia while they work on you and (so they say) you don't feel a thing. Otherwise, you could try all the normal anxiety coping mechanisms like having a friend with you throughout the procedure and doing something that makes you feel safe and secure both before and after your appointment. If the actual dental work is painful, you ought to still be under anesthesia, though.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.

Return to “Express Yourself”