On Struggle Affecting Getting Help for Another Struggle

Share your creativity; your loves, fears, journal/diary entries, poetry, etc.
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

On Struggle Affecting Getting Help for Another Struggle

Post by TonyM_Guest »

This morning I was doing some journaling and exploring components of my anxiety disorder (something i didn't get into during my original podcast appearance). It dawned on me that I never sought help for my anxiety because my parents created an unsafe space in all of the other ways that I did describe during my conversation with Paul. I was wondering if anyone knows of any episodes where the guest discusses how one mental health disorder lead to no getting appropriate support/treatment for another. Or, does anyone have any first-hand experience with this (similar to what I mentioned above)?
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Re: On Struggle Affecting Getting Help for Another Struggle

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Hi Tony,
I don't know if I've understood your question correctly, but for me it's been a kind of triage. Like I might have some inkling that there's something else that could be better but this other thing is impacting my life daily so that's where my attention goes.
Learning that the mental health journey is not linear was a big shock to me.
Please do clarify if I've misunderstood.
Heather
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

Re: On Struggle Affecting Getting Help for Another Struggle

Post by TonyM_Guest »

I'll try to clarify.

As I mentioned, I've been working on recalling events where I had behaviors in my childhood that I would now recognize as either OCD or an anxiety attack. This is more an exercise to identify patterns in my life to see how far back things stretch or if it was an "adult onset" behavior. As I do this work, I was interested in "well, if I was feeling scared/anxious" then when didn't I alert my parents? I didn't alert my parents because the environment they generated via emotional neglect and covert incest made the environment feel unsafe. So, in this case the emotional neglect and/or covert incest ended up causing my anxiety to either (a) develop or (b) get worse then it would have been otherwise.

That's what I mean by one thing ended up intersecting with the other. Very often we see mental illness put into silos like if you have one mental struggle then you don't have another. For example, if I deal with depression then that's all I deal with and none of the other plethora of mental illness are considered. I know that this isn't the case in reality but I'm curious if there are episodes or even other non-podcast resources where people discuss multiple mental illness struggles collectively and comprehensively with regard to how they come together as a mosaic to paint the full picture (rather than just focusing on one at a time).

Return to “Express Yourself”