New here- hoping to find some support

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
silverstein23
Issues: Bipolar disorder, eating disorder, anxiety
preferred pronoun: she

New here- hoping to find some support

Post by silverstein23 »

Hi all- I am new to listening to this podcast and new to this forum. I suffer from bipolar disorder and am still working through an eating disorder (no doubt related.) I grew up in an abusive household, and even after physically separating myself from it all, I deal with a controlling mother and needy sister. My sexual abuser recently passed away, and although I wish I felt relief, I only feel anxiety that there are things I never said and now never will. I struggle with keeping myself in the present moment, especially when I am having a down day or manic episode. I utilize therapy, yoga, meditation, other forms of exercise, books, mood tracker (recently,) podcasts, forums- most things you can think of. I truly do feel like I am gaining more control of my situation and illness, but it is hard to keep up daily. I am hopeful to find another helpful community here :)
Bipolar Silverstein
oak

Re: New here- hoping to find some support

Post by oak »

Thanks for posting!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,

Post by Imissmysun »

Hi welcome!

You are doing really good things for yourself and the mind likes to wander when there is discomfort - that is normal - my brain gets up and leaves me all the time - though not as bad as when I was little - I used to just completely block out everything - sound sights - just delve totally inward - now its more of a disengage and space out - I am still mostly aware of background it just isnt the focus and I am not engagning it or present with it - and it sucks because that is generally the chaos of my kids - and I am woking on that Allbeit it slowly - and I suck at being present - but I agree yoga and meditation are great tools (except I sometimes cry when I meditate I know thats weird but I do I think its just bad stuff leaving and getting out of me)

Anyway! Nice to have you here!
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
silverstein23
Issues: Bipolar disorder, eating disorder, anxiety

Post by silverstein23 »

Thank you both for the kind words.

Imissmysun- thank you so much for responding. I know how hard it is when the mind wanders, how hard it can be to become present- and working with yourself while taking care of your children must be so difficult- you are so brave and strong for working on all of this and being the parent you are! You truly are an inspiration. Also, I cry after and during meditations and yoga sometimes- I feel such great relief when I do. I don't force it, but when those tears come it means to me that I needed that relief.

I know you are going to be successful in your endeavors- you have already overcome so much! Good luck on your journey, and remember YOU CAN DO THIS and you are not alone
Bipolar Silverstein
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,

Post by Imissmysun »

Aww Sweet Silver!!!

Thank you that is so sweet of you, I have happy cry face right now!

I think you are an insiration as well - I love hearing good recovery storues and about people finally getting the help they need and to hear success at self love and just getting through the daily struggle - and it is a climb up a hill every day -

But I think those of us that feel as strongly as we do are needed in the world - to be compassionate to see from the underbelly of darkness and note the light that is there in the center just peeking through -

To experience and say I still breath - I still walk - I am here and now I can help :)

Your words are like breath I didn't know I forgot to take - thank you!!!
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic

Return to “Introducing yourself!”