I will introduce myself over my dead body...apparently

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
LeendertHasABox
Issues: Chronic Pain, Depression, Anxiety, Mind/Body Disorder, CPTSD

I will introduce myself over my dead body...apparently

Post by LeendertHasABox »

Hi,

I have just spent 5+ hours trying to write an introduction for myself. I wrote and wrote and deleted and deleted and edited myself into oblivion. I wanted to say absolutely everything about myself I wanted to, I wanted to feel a sense of catharsis, I wanted to represent myself unambiguously and completely for you all, and I wanted to feel good in the end about the whole thing.

Unfortunately I keep having this experience. Anytime I try to do any kind of journaling at all, to myself or for others, including filling out Paul's surveys and trying to create a coherent post here, I tend to let it eat up my entire day. I get frustrated, I bite off any nails I have left, I beat myself up for not making sense or rambling on for far too long, I neglect whatever I needed to do that day, and I eventually end up still in my room, late at night, upset, with a massive headache. Truthfully of all my problems migraines is not one of them, they only seem to come up when I'm having a very particular type of struggle, like this one. Sometimes I end up sticking with something, but I hate it, and sometime I scrap absolutely all of my work.

This hurts and does not feel good at all and I find it extremely discouraging that I can't express myself in words the way I want to. The act of writing just causes this massive overreaction on my part I can't seem to control I don't always know what to do because I so often have no one to talk to in real life and all I can think sometimes in the middle of a day like this is 'I need a hug, and all the writing in the world won't do.'

Why does committing anything to words hurt so much? Does anyone have any advice for working on this?

My main interests/issues here are, but not limited to, chronic pain, mind/body pain disorders (TMS/Sarno, anyone?), anxiety/fear, severe depression, fibromyalgia, CPTSD, teenage drug addiction/homelessness, SAD, and I could go on and on..basically, in a lot of pain, super sad about it, and feel like I've gone so far down the loneliness rabbit whole I'll never learn to reconnect with people...this is the best thing I've written all day I guess.

Still, my neck and head and brain hurt now, and I don't feel much of a cathartic release. I feel so much angrier than when I started :(

I hope I can learn to get better at this with time so I can feel like an active member here instead of giving it up like almost everything else I ever try. A lotta love in this community, for which I'm immediately grateful to all of you (and Paul) for creating and fostering.

Thanks for listening,

nice to meet you all
PaloSabra
Issues: Personalty Disorder , Complex PTSD, OCD
preferred pronoun: She

Re: I will introduce myself over my dead body...apparently

Post by PaloSabra »

Hi and welcome :)

Im kind of new myself and haven't posted much on here but thought i give it a try since i also have not many in RL to talk to or share my thoughts and story with, that i feel would understand or feel the same as i do..

looking forward to read more posts from you and wish you a blessed day

Hugs :romance-grouphug:
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

I struggle with finding my words too. I have more problem in real life where I try to avoid conversations because I know I am incapable of carrying on my end of it. On the forum, I struggle with finding the words to post and am usually disappointed with whatever I come up with. I don't spend the time at it you do, but I will either type something and then delete it or post it and then spend time rereading what I posted and hating myself for it. I don't have any great advice on how to handle it.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
oak

Post by oak »

You are enough.

You need not be anything you are not, and you need not be anything you are.

I, we, accept you just as you are.

I say the following with as much kindness and gentleness as I can muster:

You did a fine job, an excellent job, in what you wrote. It was clear, concise, and interesting. You're a fine writer and you have a fine mind.

I'm particularly interested, if you're willing to share, about the teenage homelessness.

Sometimes we have to go all the way down the rabbit hole to come out whole on the other side. Sometimes the only way out is in.

All that being said, I see you are suffering. I am sorry you are suffering.

This is not English 101: there is no "right" or "wrong"; there is your experience, your perspective, right now. That is welcome to change.

Thanks for posting. Excellent stuff. I look forward to more of your posts with interest.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
LeendertHasABox
Issues: Chronic Pain, Depression, Anxiety, Mind/Body Disorder, CPTSD

Post by LeendertHasABox »

This is really nice having some people to talk to like this guys. I can't express how much the enouragement here means to me, and I feel a little less daunted by my own words already. Plust I woke up with a headache today so the pain of writing has a little less leverage over me ;)

I'm glad to get to know you all and almost don't know how to react to people just....asking you to share stuff. I guess I'm just used to feeling like my thoughts and feelings are an imposition on others.

Palo, It's nice to meet you. I can definitely relate to finding people in the real world to connect to in a meaningful way. But maybe starting in a setting like this isn't all such a bad thing. I'm sure we all could use a big hug and I know it's still easy to feel alone when you're by yourself on your computer. But if you're a worrier like me you probably think of everything in terms of going straight from 0 to 60, and seldom consider the art of doing things gradually. I hope talking to you all will help get me out of my comfort zone and ready for real, person-to-person interaction....some day.

BrownBlob, it's nice to hear from you again, and glad you can relate. I'm trying really, really hard this time to not focus so much on what I just typed and just let go. For what it's worth I've read some of your posts browsing around the site and I think you express yourself totally clearly, and I think the fact that you're so active on here means you've got a lot more practice under your belt than I do, so kudos to you, sir. You claim to not have any great advice on how to handle this 'writing' issue, but I think your presence in the forum sets a good example for those of us who are a bit more skiddish. So thanks for sharing and introducing yourself and I hope you're doing well lately.

Oak. You're words are poetry. I doubt I am the first to tell you as much here. And I feel a real personal sense of gratitude towards you for making me feel so validated and accepted. I'm so used to empathy being a massive one-way street for me, I feel sometimes that someone really accepting me would be like getting mowed over by a car speeding down it in the wrong direction. You managed not only to avoid running me over- but you gave me a friendly wave to let me know I was safe out in the street. Thank you :)

I don't talk all too much about my homeless years, but I don't shy away from it too much either. To be honest I have difficulty with all of my memories from that period of time (from my whole childhood prior too, to be fair). And my thoughts on the matter tend to be more about my feelings of regret, shame, and loss in the aftermath of it. Even so, I've no doubt it would be a good writing exercise for me considering this 'dilemma' I've been grappling with and would be happy to share.

Maybe I should post something in one of the non-disorder topics? Or maybe I should just drag this out? I'm not sure if one is better than the other. But I need to take a break for a little bit as my headache is starting to get a little heavier after all and I want to be able to maybe do a little more writing later today.

Glad to be with you all :)
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks for the kind words! I hope to live up to them.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

Hi LeendertHasABox. Thank you for sharing.

Writing can be hard for me sometimes. It's like it makes the thoughts and feelings real and I have to face them now that they've flown out of my fingertips. Often what I write knows more than I do. As I've written about my past or painful topics as part of my recovery, I am often exhausted at the effort. Sending it to someone else to read is another giant hurdle. "What will they think of me?" Ultimately, that's not my business. It is only my business to speak (or write) my own truth.

The biggest suggestion (and only because you asked) I have for anyone struggling is beginning a meditation practice. It really helps with that 1 - 59 part of life and with living in the moment. I didn't understand what that phrase really meant before I began practicing. It's not always easy, because I'm asking myself to observe my inner self and it can get ugly in there, but I am at peace at least some of the time which I couldn't say a few years ago. I recommend the Headspace app or the book Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World, but really any program that speaks to you will do.
hooboy
Issues: dysthymia/major depressive disorder/GAD/EDNOS
relationships/family/UGHHH
preferred pronoun: she

Post by hooboy »

Hi LeendertHasABox,

I'm new here too, and your post hit home for me. I get all adrenalized all over again when I start trying to put my thoughts in order on a page - usually because they are racing so fast that my fingers can't keep up. But I guess that's part of the process of things? By writing it out, we can attempt to slow down our thoughts a bit? I also related to your comment about losing a whole day to this type of thing. From my end, it's rumination - thought spirals over and over about the issues at hand, and poof, it's hours later, and I'm left with a feeling of nothing being resolved. Yeesh! But for real, I found your post very clear and well written, just like Oak says, you write with aplomb! Just wanted to say hi and that I can relate!
Maudie

Post by Maudie »

I`m a new here ))!
Look at singapore grand prix 2019
 right now
PaloSabra
Issues: Personalty Disorder , Complex PTSD, OCD
preferred pronoun: She

Post by PaloSabra »

HI all..

Hi and welcome Maudi :)

This post havent been very active lately.. I wish i did not struggle so bad with words and express my self in the way i want or els i would probably be posting all the time. But a note here and there cant be that bad , or can it ? lets try

Im having one of my episodes where i just wanna crawl down in a rabbit hole and stay till i feel better, i know that is probably not the best way to handle things but i have my days/weeks where i just dont/cant be social. But at the same time i want to be social sooo bad but i just cant, i get so uncomfortable/not interested around new ppl. Been almost 3 weeks since i saw my therapist and i need it soo bad right now, good thing im going next week, but a week feels so long :?

well well

wish u all a great time on here and talk soon :animals-bunnywhite:

Return to “Introducing yourself!”