Dizzy and depressed

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
marathonbar

Dizzy and depressed

Post by marathonbar »

Hey friends,
I found this podcast a couple of months ago when I fell into the deep abyss of depression. For the past six months, I've had non-stop vertigo, which has at times led me to the brink of madness. Some days I can cope. Other days really suck. In any case, the stress got to me and I ended up spiraling down into a depressive state, which has happened three other times in my life. I'm in an okay place now. I found a great book that helped me immensely ("Unstuck" by James Gordon) and through that I found an incredible therapist. I've found the one thing that helps the most is exercise. Even though it's difficult for me to do with the vertigo, I get on the treadmill every morning and listen to a MIHH podcast. It's my own prescription for stability. I've also started taking supplements (fish oil, probiotics, vitamin D, multivitamin) and that seems to help as well. And, of course, Prozac, although I hate being on medication.
I'm really happy to have found this place.
I'm ready to live a life of joy.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Dizzy and depressed

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello marathonbar, welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself through medication and professional counseling. Pretty cool that you exercise too, and don't use your condition as an excuse.

All the best, take care, we are all cheering for you and your greatest today and tomorrow!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

Hey marathonbar,
Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough couple of months. What's causing the vertigo? Have you been through a full medical work-up for that?
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
terryb

Post by terryb »

Had the same question about full medical workup. I suffered similar symptoms when I had anxiety problems and thought that was the cause but turned out I had low blood sugar. Once that was resolved the dizziness and other things went away.

I don't know that hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is something that would be revealed by standard workup during a physical. I think it requires special blood tests. But the problem is easily fixed by altering diet. You could find some info online. It made a huge difference for me.
marathonbar

Post by marathonbar »

Thanks everyone. Yes, I've been going to doctors non-stop for the vertigo. Everything from the ENT, neurologists, neuro-opthamalogist, physical therapy, acupuncture... you name it, I've been there. I've seen the inside of every waiting room in town. Several of the doctors I saw suspect that it's the result of going off Prozac and Wellbutrin without tapering. My psychiatrist knew I wanted to go off the meds but never tapered me. Needless to say, I've stopped going to him. Time will tell, I suppose. That's what they keep telling me anyhow. I'm so happy to have found this site/podcast. Thanks for the encouragement. :)
I'm ready to live a life of joy.
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Marathonbar,

First, congrats on naming yourself after my absolute favorite childhood candy bar. Second, welcome to the forum. Sorry for the belated response. We're glad you're here!

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
cyanidebreathmint

Post by cyanidebreathmint »

Hey the constant dizziness sounds familiar. I had a sudden onset of it in summer 2010. After going to docs constantly we think it's migraines. I got on meds for migraines and the dizziness is mostly not a problem anymore

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”