Homeopathic Meds as an Alternative to Western Meds

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
ScottMentalPod

Re: Homeopathic Meds as an Alternative to Western Meds

Post by ScottMentalPod »

Shanarchy,

My polarized sunglasses theory comes from the concept of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I believe it's possible that the sun contributes to kicking off a manic episode. If nothing else wearing the sunglasses helped me be more mindful of my mood. This recent article also leads me think there's something to it:
http://bipolar.about.com/b/2013/04/15/c ... sorder.htm

It's probably total BS but I believe in it. I general I think it helps but once I started taking B12 & Fish Oil that's when things really leveled off. I also use a sunlamp in the Winter. Of course this is unique my own physiology.
shanarchy

Post by shanarchy »

ScottMentalPod,

I had read the article from when you posted it in the other thread. I found it interesting how the function of the eyes is related to behavior/mood.

I am diagnosed with "borderline" hypothyroidism (depending on the lab standard) and I read that one of the hormones that regulate the thyroid is produced in a region of the brain that's called the hypothalamus. I read that one of the ways to help the hypothalamus work properly is to expose the eyes to sunlight and/or sun lamps, like your case. Also, I read that the production of vitamin D in the body is aided through exposing the eyes to sunlight.

It's amazing how it's all related.

I don't think it's BS. Whatever works for us is good for us. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself.
~Shanarchy

"You are more talented than you think, more beautiful than you know, and more loved than you can imagine." ~Kandee Johnson
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

Almost Well & weary: I apologize for my sensitivity to the situation. It is totally my fault for not educating myself better about the definitions to the different categories of alternative medicine. I have become this sensitive to the subject mainly out of the frustration I feel in not finding anything to help me feel balanced. It's been a long struggle for me and I am pretty psyched that the SAM-e is actually making me feel better without any flippin' side effects! God, it's been so long, so many doctors, so many remedies pharmaceutical or not. So I ask your forgiveness since it was my own ignorance that made me get in a huff :oops: Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences. I appreciate it lots.

I will say this about one homeopathic remedy that totally saved me from hours of sleeplessness and that is the Hyland product called Restful Legs. Man, I had restless legs sooo bad when I was on Prozac. This was one thing I took religiously when I would feel the creepy crawlies in my legs start. It never failed to work for me. I don't know what it is in the make up of that stuff, but it really did work. When I came off the Prozac, it went away completely. That was one of the worst side effects I ever had to deal with due mainly to its consistency.

Nevina: Sorry the Phenibut is going so well. Having tight muscles in your shoulder and neck would be very hard, especially with the work you do. Also, the rejection of your cats by the other cats is very sad. I'm very thankful that you are as awesome as you are and still love and care for her. My cat is older and has had lapses of going to our vet due to her renal failure/kidney infection ,bladder infections, pronounced heart murmur, and blood clots. I almost lost her in 2010 and the vet didn't think she'd make it through the year. I slept on the bathroom floor with her every night until she got to where she could hop up into her bed by me. We are certainly bonded due to this. Then she started getting sick again at the end of last year...BUT she has bounced back every time. I totally understand the anxiety that comes with worry due to our pets. I'm pretty sure this may be one of the reasons I started experiencing it so bad this last year. Never knowing if your 'kid' is gonna make it one day to the next. The other thing that totally sucks is she has horrible allergies and seems to constantly scratch at her ears and face. Unfortunately, since she is such a delicate flower, she cannot be given Cortizone shots anymore to help. Luckily, she doesn't lick spots and has no bare patches from scratching, but I know she has to be uncomfortable. She is also IMPOSSIBLE to pill. No Zyrtec or anything else she could take...urgh. But I digress. You and your boyfriend rock for being such great kitty parents <3. PS: Your cat is one of the sexiest cats I've ever seen. Beautiful :D

shanarchy & ScottMentalPod: Thanks very much for your experiences and input. Being that I live in the Pacific Northwest, I'm no stranger to having to take tons of Vitamin D. I had to take it in large doses last fall due to low levels. I take it pretty frequently in drop form; especially when I'm feeling a little under the weather. Everyone says it's the new Vitamin C. I think sun lamps are brilliant and I really wish I had one in my house for the extended PNW winters. It's pretty easy to fool yourself into thinking your sitting in the sun when you sit in front of those things with your eyes closed (even better, with a space heater pointed at you at the same time).

Thanks everyone. Sorry I wasn't able to get on here earlier to say sorry and thanks. I love you, guys! xo
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

Post by inmymind »

Yes, I too am as suspicious about any efficacy homeopathic stuff, as I am about big pharma profits, but just in a different way. Long ago, years between treatments of Welbutrin, and the Cymbalta I now take, I tried Ginko Kenoba (or whatever it's called) for a spat of depression. I noticed zero effect from it. I've taken Prosaic many years ago, went off of it for some years, then had Wellbutrin perscribed for a while, went off of that, and switched to Cymbalta (which I've gone off for a while, but am currently taking). Each time when starting a medication, I noticed a positive, almost immediate effect.

Another thing about vitimans and so forth, which my primary care doctor recommended to me and my wife (that he sells at the front desk) is that to me it sounds dangerous to take 6000 % of the US RDA for the various vitimans and minerals that are in those things. The fact that my PCP is selling them is a conflict of interest in my book.

I'm not against companies making profits, but we have to be careful about what we put into our bodies.

Regards,
InMyMind
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

Hi, InMyMind-
Generally ginkgo is taken to enhance memory function. St. John's Wort is primarily taken for depression. I have taken it combined with other herbs in a tincture for anxiety and it worked just ok.
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

Also...CHEL!!!!!
Sorry I overlooked you in my comment. It wasn't intentional. Your input was really appreciated.

I know I should be taking fish oil. It will give me a silky, smooth coat just like my cat and dog! Or, ya know, it will help my brain do that remembering thing.

Hearing about your cultural experiences with alternative medicine is really interesting. Thanks for sharing :) I hope you're doing well and feeling well, as well...that's a lot of wells. xo
walklikeanegyptian

Post by walklikeanegyptian »

Just started supplementing my Zoloft with 5-HTP. Have a client who weaned off meds and is now on SAM-E and other supplements. She is seeing Dr. Hyla Cass in L.A.

I am feeling improvements with the 5-HTP. Am also starting with DLA. So far so good.

http://cassmd.com/pdfs_folder/ReclaimYourBrain2.pdf
motormom

Post by motormom »

I know this post is old but I want to comment.

I am a patient of homeopathy and have been for the last 7 years. Aside from 1 month of trying some SSRIs, I have not taken meds because I don't tolerate them.

Although I have not found my "miracle" remedy, I keep going because I know it's out there and when I do find it, the cure will be real and lasting. That is the beauty of homeopathy. (For the record, homeopathy is not interchangeable with all natural, supplements, etc. It's a system of healing in its own right.) In fact, as I began working with my homeopath, I began reading about the system and it fascinated me so much, I enrolled as a student in the School of Homeopathy :)

I also changed my diet completely. I eat foods that heal and promote true nutrition to my body. After all, food is medicine...

Alternative healing and especially diet changes can be complimentary to western medicine. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

There is a lot of good stuff out there.

Return to “Medications”