Mind Body and Trauma

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Mind Body and Trauma

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Everyone in the Mental Fairy household: be safe

I hate to think anyone get hurt

Bad things should never happen to my friends
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Oh no, I hope everyone in your house is safe, MF.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Team

Don’t think any of us slept last night. Finally got power back around midnight. We are being asked to prepare for cyclone. It’s very still outside currently. Got my butt into gear and went for morning jog, managed 90min jog at different heart rates. Dodging debris from last night all over roads. Apparently it will work its way down the north island starting late tomorrow, early tomorrow. East coast more effected. People leaving camps and homes. I see our council has sandbags coming into our local area as we all live so close to ocean.

Cross fingers this goes east. Yesterday was wild and very forceful. The plus side is we have the mountain that blocks some wind but when it’s coming from east or north we get hit head on. I have asked Joe if I can bugger off up the mountain and hunker down in a hut but I got a big NO!!!! Who will cook dinner?

Alas, I will make the most of this beautiful day while we have it.

Thinking of you all
oak

Post by oak »

I hope your storm survival is going well, Mental Fairy.

I quick google search shows two things:

1. This storm is bad.

2. The curve of its approach shows that it is hellbent on hitting the one side of the island.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Team

The weather has started to hit. We we positioned west side of the mountain so will have some form of protection in a way. Rain started about hour ago. I awoke after a night of deeply disturbing dreams.

I awoke in a panic as I knew if I kept sleeping my mind set would be harder to deal with today.
Dreamt of being left alone by everyone. I saw an old work colleague whom I worked with for eleven years. (In my dream)
It was a consistent dream of feeling deeply alone and left by all male figures in my life.

Maybe writing about dad has stirred it up? He left us before Myself and Keely came along. I don’t know he tried to get custody. So having no dad, a brother that caused trauma, many men that came and went at my mums discretion (one whom was by far the nicest man on earth) my grandad passed, my first parter left me for someone else but I found out the hard way. My side kick in surgery and close friend up and left to start a life in Auckland. And also the never ending feeling Joe will do the same.

I woke up with a familiar feeling of loss, I wanted to cry but was unable to as a part of me wouldn’t allow it.

I’m not sure if many of you have lucid dreaming but when you can feel the whiskers on someone’s face or sense the emotion that comes with the dream in such a way it feels real, it effects your following day. I’ve awoke feeling very isolated and incredibly sad that it took 7 hours of sleep to be told that I will always be left alone by male figures in my life. Maybe that’s effected the way I have relationships?

I feel very effected by last night. Sitting on my yoga mat wishing so much to have this feeling lifted. It’s like a weight of emotions that can only be buried until they come back up again.

Thank you for reading

Time to brace for the storm.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Mental Fairy,

We are anxiously awaiting updates from you.

I've been getting a bit of a geography lesson on NZ the last day or so, reading and watching online.
(And forgive me, but for some of the man-on-the-street interviews, I've needed the subtitles ;) )

Weather & storm analysis
https://youtu.be/Sjkms2XjOgw

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/weather-news/

Maybe you're without power at the moment, but post when you can.
I hope you all are OK.

SD
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Team

We have had a wild night. Power still on however paddocks and surrounding rivers are swollen to breaking point. The east coast is far worse off and northland is cut off completely as flooding on state highway one is to deep to pass.
We have been informed there is a second cyclone behind this one that is being monitored.
I feel for the farmers as their feed and paddocks will not survive this.
Our big problem is the wind. This should pass today I believe, thankfully the west coast is ok. The east coast has taken some terrible hits in the last two years.
Was awoken about midnight to extreme wind blasts. Our home is brick so it’s not too bad. The other neighbours are weatherboard. People across the street said their bedroom wall was moving and hitting the furniture.

I know I like wild weather but wow the wind is incredible. My ducks are fine as they are home this morning. Plenty of places for them to have shelter.

Making us wonder what winter will bring.
Will find you some live cameras.
We are based north west of mountain and somewhat exposed to the winds currently.

Last night I had a call out to Inglewood as a friend has some 2ed degree burns to legs that needed dressing. It’s about 20min drive normally, took me over an hour as winds and trees all over the road.
Main thing is his legs are dressed and all is well!

Don’t think I’ll bike to work today!
Last edited by Mental Fairy on January 10th, 2023, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

https://www.windy.com/-Webcams/New-Zealand/New-Plymouth-District/Taranaki-volcano/webcams/1359669733?-42.339,175.154,5

This will give you live cameras from our town
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy, thank you for the update.

I’m glad your house is secure, the ducks are safe, and especially that you still have power.

I’m glad you were able to help your friend, and get back okay.

Keep us posted!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Thanks Oak

For the population of NZ that was alive in 1988 we fear the word cyclone. That was a storm this country will never forget. Cyclone Bola.

I remember watching my grandparents home be reduced to splinters from the home next door. We we trying to find shelter and this amazing glass house my grandparents had for their tropical fruits just lifted up and flew for miles. Glass and homes were sucked up by the winds. The town was flattened by the winds and rain. To this day people here fear wind that remind them of cyclone Bola.

We are a small country with limited access to some places due to roads, rivers and fault lines.
Especially northern parts. Trucks trying to get to areas end up stranded and supplies will be dropped off my helicopters. Our mountain is due to blow her top and every Wednesday at 11:30am a siren blows to make sure the city has a warning siren working to evacuate. They only use that siren for emergency reasons and this morning we heard it as the stoney river on the east side of mountain is flooded. That’s the sound no one likes to hear unless it’s a drill.

When I was guiding on the mountain for a year or so on my return from the South Island I got to help out with a volcanologist from Europe who was doing study on the hill. He found that when the hill blows her top it will go north, the debris should flow to the north. We only have two roads in and out of this city, both are two lane only. The other option is the ocean. We live and hope it doesn’t happen in our lifetime however she is long overdue a little puff! It will be like Pompeii!

Return to “PTSD”